Calories 302; Total Fat 23g; Carbohydrates 24g
class="recipe_desc_text">Who says salad can't be exciting? This sweet, spicy, tart, and crunchy salad makes a great side for a simple main course such as grilled chicken or fish. There's a lot going on nutritionally as well: Pumpkin seeds are a good source of immune-boosting vitamin E and zinc, and the jalapeos have anti-inflammatory effects.
Go to the healthy recipe on epicurious.com
Photograph By: Romulo Yanes
Amounts per serving plus the % Daily Value (DV) based on a 2,000 calorie diet:
- 302 Calories (15%)
- 23g Total fat (35%)
- 3g Saturated Fat (16%)
- 0mg Cholesterol (0%)
- 199mg Sodium (8%)
- 24g Carbohydrate (8%)
- 3g Fiber (14%)
- 4g Protein (8%)
See the full nutritional analysis from NutritionData.com
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons raw green (hulled) pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped seeded fresh jalapeo
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed green tomatoes (not unripe), cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 1/2 honeydew melon, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
Toast cumin in a dry small heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and a shade darker, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add pumpkin seeds to skillet and heat, stirring constantly, until slightly puffed (be careful not to brown them), 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer seeds to a small bowl and stir in 1/4 teaspoon oil and salt to taste.
Whisk together cumin, vinegar, chile, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large bowl, then gently toss with tomatoes, melon, and cilantro. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
For more delicious recipes, go to epicurious.com