The weather page can be found every day in thee-edition
Never miss a local story.
at the end of section B (or use the table of contents on the left of the screen). It is full of information to cover a variety of objectives for different grade levels. Below are a few ideas of how to use it:
- Students collect their own weather data and compare to the paper for accuracy
- The almanac section show data over time. How does it compare to today? Yesterday? Tomorrow?
- How does our weather compare to other locations (local, national, international)
- What types of activities would you do in those locations? Why might you decide to visit Boston in the summer and Tuscon in the fall?
- Study the graph representing the temperature trends. Can you see a trend or pattern?
- Read the record highs and lows for this day. How do you think that effected people’s activities for the day? If the record was set after 1990 you can use the archives to read the paper from that day.
- Individual students or small groups pick another location to track the weather for a few weeks and use Use newspapermap.com to read the news from those locations and see how the weather effects the news.
- Find several locations on a map or globe and compare one day’s weather. What similiarities do you see? What about locations along the equator? Or ones farther north?
- Look at several consecutive days of the national map. How do the air masses move? How does that effect the weather across the country?
You may find it useful for students to construct their own weather station. You can find sites to do thathere
Have you listed to aTED talk
? It is a great way to extend a study of a subject you’ve read about in the N&O.As always, be sure to preview each talk to determine if the content is appropriate for your students
. Ideas for linking articles from the e-edition to TED Talks: Monday’s announcement aboutvaccine availability
and a discussion ofpolio
or a Saturday auto section and making a car for blind drivers or an article about the decline of honeybees and the beauty of pollination or this week’s Beethoven shortcut (6D Tuesday) and a discussion of classical music and passion .
: found page 2B ofMonday’s paper
. Thanks to Dad
:Every Tuesday on 6D
. Topic for this week:Beethoven Guide
to meet the characters, access teacher guides and view past issues
Shortcuts: Tractors Guide
Prizes and Goodies
The N&O is launching a new deal of the day site. I tell you this not only for the deals, but for the fact that if you register, you are entered towin an iPad
. Pass the link on to friends, anyone can register.
Thursday, July 28 the N&O will co-host an NIE conference. The location is yet to be determined, but will be in either Durham or Chapel Hill. The conference will feature teachers sharing ideas for blogging, using Google Documents effectively, features and tricks of e-editions, using Facebook and Twitter with NIE, the National Democratic Convention and 2012 election and the role NIE will play, and using NIE to address core standards. You can earn .5 CEU’s by attending the conference. The N&O can sponsor a few teachers to attend the conference, so if you are interested, please email me.
Several times a week I will post a NIEQ (News in Education Question) on facebook or twitter. Use email, facebook, or twitter to respond. The questions span ages and subjects. Try it! Or have students create their own questions and I’ll post those. Participating earns a chance for a gift card! Examples of previous NIEQ’s
- What kind of parents do you have? or, What kind are you? http://bit.ly/kGxz0C
- Does money buy happiness? Which would you rather have? See Shoe on 6D of 6-8-11
- All together, how many miles will NC's MLB drafts travel to their new homes? http://bit.ly/k2c82I6-8-11 3C
- How old will you be the next time Brood XIX cicadas come out? What about the Brood IV? Hint: Wednesday 6-8-11 2B
- NC Graduation rate on the rise http://bit.ly/leZcQI What would you do to increase the rate?
- How much have Triangle home showings declined since 2007? Hint- Monday 6-6-11 front page.
- Which company is bringing Angry Birds to your TV? Hint- Monday 6-6-11 2D
Access to teacher resources, serial stories, etc are available to teachers by using the teacher login box.
Found us on Facebook yet? (NIE News and Observer)