It’s the weekend before Memorial Day – also known as the weekend before the traditional start of beach season. Locally, there’s plenty to do with kids both inside and out while you dream about your summer.
▪ Saturday, the North Carolina Museum of History and Raleigh Little Theatre collaborate on two family-oriented activities celebrating the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death. From 11 a.m. to noon, have fun with “Hamlet,” using your bodies and voices to bring the Prince of Denmark to life – and to find the rhythm beneath the dialogue. And from 1 to 2 p.m., play with words (Shakespeare sure loved to) and even invent some of your own. These are both free, but space is limited and registration is required at ncmuseumofhistory.org.
▪ The 47th annual Bimbé Cultural Arts Festival in Durham is Saturday from noon to 8 p.m. and features African American dance ensembles, jazz, blues and reggae music. In the kids’ zone, find face painting, drum circles, a wood workshop and other child-oriented fun. Get details at durhamnc.gov.
UPDATE from the city of Durham: Due to muddy field conditions at Rock Quarry Park, the Bimbé Cultural Arts Festival will take place in the Durham County Stadium Parking Lot, 750 Stadium Drive. Free parking will be available on the visitors side of the Durham County Stadium which can be accessed from Wisteria Ave. For weather related updates call 919-560-4636 and press #8.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Swing by Artspace in Raleigh Saturday for FRESH Fun, a family-oriented viewing party of its new exhibit FRESH. Connect and create stations will be placed throughout the building, at which visitors can make their own art. FRESH Fun runs from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and is free, with walk-ins welcome. More at artspacenc.org.
▪ The Pittsboro Farm and Forest Trail, a nearly mile-long walking path winding around the Piedmont Biofuels plant, has its grand opening Saturday. This lasts from 2 to 8 p.m., with children’s activities between 2 and 5, nature activities on and off the trail, multiple food truck options and bands starting at 4. Visit abundancenc.org for details.
▪ Check out the science behind music with interactive activities and experiments at Northgate Mall’s Discovery Nook. Saturday’s closer look at musical masterpieces is part of STEMville Saturdays, a cooperative effort with Morehead Planetarium, and it runs from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Visit northgatemall.com for more.
Send Family Picks suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org