Help Wanted: Sock Wrangler
01/11/2013 1:00 AM
01/10/2013 10:45 PM
Help Wanted: Sock Wrangler
Under the supervision of the Dad and occasionally the part-time housekeeper and in cooperation with Uncle Jesse, the Sock Wrangler will oversee all hosiery in the Ham home. The position requires a baccalaureate undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in Home Economics, criminology, private I'ing, matchingstuffology, findingstuffology or a related field as well as a minimum of 5 years experience in hunting those little boogers down! This position requires an understanding of and a commitment to the Ham Family's desire to have matching socks seven days per week for each family member.
The position requires that the incumbent be innovative (they could be anywhere!!), diligent in the search and friendly as he/she goes about her work. He/she must be passionate about finding matches and relentless in the pursuit of missing apparel. He/she must be exceedingly organized, be a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision. He/she is welcome to yell at family members who leave socks in inappropriate places.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Find socks
- Find their matches
- Crawl under stuff, including washers, dryers, sinks, Tupperware cabinets, cars, and the house
- Fold socks and have an innate ability to determine which ones belong to each child - (because they are all the same size and look identical, but my children have an emotional connection to each pair which means they MUST be returned to the original owner)
- Make decisions on tossing items that have gigantic holes in them or are stretched out to the point that they could fit Charles Barkley
- Must know the difference between tights and hose and be able to articulate that difference to all in the house
- Purchase new socks (never spending over $60)
The top 10 finds this past week:
Number 1: The dining room chair - that's just gross. At least they weren't on the table.
Number 5: On living room furniture - but it's a matched pair!!!
Number 6: Bathroom floor - last thing on before the shower? I bet underwear are close by.
Number 7: It's not just a home thing - even on vacation...sock in DC.
Number 8: Oh, those are mine.
Number 9: Isn't it pretty with the rug? Maybe she couldn't see it.
Number 10: Oh my lord, they're in a drawer!
Join the Discussion
News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.