Upcoming classes at Atlantic Avenue garden center
Raleigh’s Atlantic Avenue Orchid and Garden center has more upcoming classes:
▪ Fairy gardening workshop at 10 a.m. Sept. 24, 1 p.m. Sept. 28 and 1 p.m. Oct. 22. $25 per adult or child, or $25 for one adult and one child.
▪ Gardening for newcomers at 10 a.m. Oct. 1. This class will discuss gardening in zone 7b. Free but registration required.
▪ Learn basic orchid care at 9 a.m. Oct. 8. Cost $5. Registration required.
▪ Shrubs for the landscape at 10 a.m. Oct. 8. Former N.C. State University professor Bryce Lane will discuss the best shrubs for every garden. Free but registration required.
▪ Introduction to beekeeping at noon Oct. 8 by local beekeeper Rick Bordeaux. Free but register in advance.
▪ How to prepare your pond for winter at 11 a.m. Oct. 15. Free but registration required.
▪ Advanced orchid care at 9 a.m. Oct. 22. Cost $5. Registration required.
▪ Succulent container workshop at 10 a.m. Oct. 22. Purchase a container or bring one from home. Registration required.
▪ Houseplant care will be 9 a.m. Nov. 5. Cost $5. Registration required. Bring a plant from home that needs repotting.
To register, go to: atlanticavenuegarden.com/gardening-classes-raleigh/.
The garden center is at 5217 Atlantic Ave., Raleigh, 919-878-8877, atlanticavenuegarden.com.
Reminder: Order seedlings from the N.C. Forest Service
This is the time of year when the N.C. Forest Service Nursery Program releases its catalog of seedlings available to the public for purchase.
The Forest Service produces 16 million seedlings for more than 50 species of conifer and hardwood trees each year at its nurseries, including one in Goldsboro. The Forest Service sells hardwood seedlings in quantities as low as 10 and conifers in quantities as low as 50. Large orders also can be accommodated.
The catalog shares information on the types of tree species, quantities and costs. Each tree description includes information about ideal planting locations and whether a species is typically used for the benefit of wildlife or restoring habitats.
Seedlings can be ordered online, by mail or by phone at 888-NCTREES (888-628-7337) using a Visa or MasterCard. To order by mail, complete an order form and send it to Seedling Coordinator, 762 Claridge Nursery Road, Goldsboro, NC 27530.
Distribution of seedlings begins in the fall, depending on weather conditions. Seedling orders are shipped to one of 13 locations statewide for free or via UPS for a charge.