Cooking class, mums talk and day camps at Duke Gardens
Here are the details on some fun upcoming classes and camps at Duke University’s Sarah P. Duke Gardens:
▪ Cooking from the garden: late autumn salads with chef Katie Coleman of Durham Spirits Co., 6-8 p.m. Oct. 24. Cost: $25-$35.
▪ Growing show chrysanthemums with horticulturist Michelle Rawlins, 2:30-4 p.m. Oct. 26. Cost: $5-$10.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Nature adventures camp for a day for children in kindergarten to fifth grade. These one-day camps are offered on teacher workdays 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 31 (Creepy Crawlies Camp), Nov. 8 (Harvest Camp) and Nov. 11 (Gardens Games Camp). Cost: $50; $25 deposit per child per day and full payment due two weeks before camp.
For more information, call 919-668-1707 or email email@example.com.
The garden is at 420 Anderson St., Durham.
Children’s event, fall garden tour at N.C. Botanical Garden
The N.C. Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill has these upcoming events:
▪ “Discovering Magic in the Garden,” for children, 2-5 p.m. Oct. 16. The event includes nature activities, games and crafts, and children are encouraged to dress in their “most magical or favorite plant or animal costume.” Cost is $10 per child. (Adults are free.) Registration is required.
▪ “The Arboretum on a Fall Day Tours.” Curator Margo MacIntyre will lead the tour of the Coker Arboretum, 2-3 p.m. Oct. 17 and 24. Cost: $8-$12.
The garden is 100 Old Mason Farm Road, Chapel Hill.
Info: 919-962-0522, ncbg.unc.edu
Scrap Exchange has upcoming craft classes
Durham’s Scrap Exchange has a few interesting craft classes. Here are the details:
▪ Home Sewing: Japanese utility aprons for students, ages 12 and up, with instructor Emily Quadrio, noon-3 p.m. Oct. 22. Cost: $30. Registration: https://utilityaprons.eventbrite.com
▪ Knitting 101 for students, ages 12 and up, with instructor Amelia Freeman-Lynde, 3-5 p.m. Oct. 23 and 30. Cost: $35. Registration: https://scrapknitfall.eventbrite.com
▪ Home Sewing: Baby blankets for students, ages 12 and up, with instructor Dara Page, 2-3:30 p.m. Nov. 5. Cost: $15. Registration: https://babyblankets.eventbrite.com
▪ Adult and child sewing class for children, ages 8 and up, with instructor Christine Ramsey, 12:30-4:30 p.m. Nov. 6. Cost: $35 per adult/child team. Registration: https://adultchildsewfall.eventbrite.com
▪ Basic serger workshop for students, ages 16 and up, with instructor Christine Ramsey, 12:30-4:30 p.m. Nov. 20. Cost: $30. Registration: https://fallserger.eventbrite.com
The Scrap Exchange is at 2050 Chapel Hill Road, Durham.
Info: 919-688-6960, scrapexchange.org.