More craft classes in Cary
Gather and the Cary Creative Center both have upcoming craft classes.
Here are some highlights from the schedule at Gather:
▪ Create a custom dreamcatcher from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Aug. 18. Artist Cassie Iglesias will teach how to design and create a custom dream catcher using soft threads, feathers, beads and fabric scraps Cost: $30.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Learn how to make rope coil baskets from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Aug. 20. Cost: $40.
▪ Learn to how to bind a book from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Aug. 25. Local artist Kathy Bayard will teach the class. Cost: $45.
▪ Learn the basics of block printing from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Sept. 3. You will take home a set of tea towels. Cost: $50.
▪ Learn the basics of quilting from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Sept. 15. Students will learn flying geese – the building block of many a quilt pattern – as they piece a mini wall quilt or potholder from starting design to final binding stitch. Cost: $40.
Preregisteration is required for the classes. To register, go online: gathernc.com.
Gather is a co-working office, gift store, coffee and tea shop and event space at 111 W. Chatham St. in downtown Cary.
Here are some highlights from Cary Creative Center’s schedule:
▪ Beginning Machine Sewing class from 7-9 p.m. Aug. 17. Cost: $30.
▪ Learn how to make cards using die cutting equipment from 7-9 p.m. Aug. 24. Cost: $30.
▪ Learn to paint with acrylics from 7-9 p.m. Aug. 31. Wine will be served. Must be 21 or older. Cost $30.
The center is at Cary Towne Center Mall, 1105 Walnut St., Cary.
Info: 919-247-1564, carycreativecenter.org
Open house at N.C. State Crafts Center
The Crafts Center at N.C. State University, which offers classes to the public, is having an open house from 4-6 p.m. Aug. 18.
The event includes studio tours, crafts demonstrations, live music and refreshments. (The University Theatre’s open house will be happening upstairs as well.)
Beyond the open house, lots of pots, yarn and other craft items will be on sale to help fund a rebuild of the center’s gas kiln. Most items priced from $1 to $5!
The center’s class schedule is open for registration. Classes include guitar lessons, leather-making, acrylic painting, watercolor, and even bike repair and maintenance.
The center is at 210 Jensen Drive, Raleigh.
Info: 919-515-2457, ncsu.edu/crafts/
Home Depot offers DIY classes
The home improvement store chain offers free workshops each weekend.
Here is a sample of a upcoming workshops at Wake County stores:
Basic Electrical Skills, 10-11:30 a.m. Aug. 22; learn to build a wooden stand for a hanging basket, 10-11:30 a.m. Sept. 12; Learn to Install a Faucet, 1-2:30 p.m. Sept. 13; Learn to Install Tile Flooring, 10-11:30 a.m. Sept. 19; Decorative Paint Techniques, 1-2:30 p.m. Sept. 20; and Insulation: Where, What and How, 10-11:30 a.m. Sept. 26.
They also offer do-it-herself workshops for women: Build a Decorative Shelf, 6:30-8 p.m. Aug. 20; and Build a Decorative Pumpkin Stand, 6:30-8 p.m. Sept. 17.
Check individual stores for class schedules: workshops.homedepot.com.