Learn to knit or crochet
If you have always wanted to take up yarn crafts, a few local shops have upcoming or ongoing classes:
▪ Apex’s DownTown Knits has a beginner crochet class from 7-8:30 p.m. every Tuesday and a beginner knitting class from 7-8:30 p.m. every Thursday. Cost: $55 for three sessions. You can sign up online. Info: 122 N. Salem St., Apex, 919-249-5638, downtownknits.com.
▪ Yarns, etc. in Chapel Hill is offering a learn-to-crochet class from 2-4 p.m. Dec. 13. Cost: $30. Info: 1322 Fordham Boulevard, Suite 4, Chapel Hill, 919-928-8810, yarnsetc.com.
▪ Cary’s Warm ‘n Fuzzy is offering two classes: Beginning knitting from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 17 (cost: $55) and beginning socks from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 14 and Dec. 28 (cost: $85). Info: 200 S. Academy St., Suite 140, Cary, 919-380-0008, warmnfuzzy.net.
▪ North Raleigh’s Yarn Tree Studio is offering an Afghan Square Knit Along from 5-7 p.m. Dec. 14. Free, but you must RSVP online for the session. Info: 8801 Lead Mine Road, Suite 117, Raleigh, 919-845-3292, yarntreestudio.com.
To see a complete list of Triangle yarn shops, see our previous story: nando.com/yarnshops.
Or learn to sew or quilt
If you have ever wanted to take up sewing or quilting, two local shops have upcoming or ongoing classes:
▪ Cary Quilting Co. has a binding class from 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Dec. 19. Cost: $43.75. Basic sewing skills are required. Here’s the class description: Through a series of hands-on exercises and demos, you will learn the simple pillowcase finishing technique, then advance to several different methods of applying binding. For those who hate hand sewing, you’ll see how to apply binding completely by machine. Throughout the class, you’ll learn tips and tricks to finish your quilt with dressed up edges that have flair. Info: 226 E. Chatham St., Cary, 919-238-9739, caryquilting.com.
▪ Carrboro’s Mulberry Silks & Fine Fabrics has several upcoming classes: holiday gift class for adults, 1-5 p.m. Dec. 12 (cost: $45); beginner or refresher sewing class for adults from 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. or 2-4:30 p.m. every Thursday (cost: $60/month); designer details class (learn tips and tricks the pattern guide sheets don’t share for professional results) from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2-5 p.m. Tuesdays; and Saturday morning sewing from 9-11:30 a.m. Saturdays (cost: $20, preregistration required). Info: Historic Carr Mill Mall, 200 N. Greensboro St., Carrboro, 919-942-7455, mulberrysilks.net.
To see a complete list of Triangle sewing shops, see our previous story: nando.com/sewingshops
Congratulations, Sherri Batson
Reader Sherri Batson has won a copy of the “Southern Living 50 Years: A Celebration of People, Places and Culture.”
However, Sherri has not responded to our message via Facebook. To claim the prize, please call 919-829-4848 or email email@example.com and leave your mailing address so we can get this book to you.
And apologies for goofing up the last giveaway for the Kinfolk book. Once the Southern Living book is delivered, I will post that giveaway and rerun instructions here.