The 2,000 full-time employees of Chobani were handed quite the surprise Tuesday: an ownership stake in the yogurt company that could make some of them millionaires.
Hamdi Ulukaya, the Turkish immigrant who founded Chobani in 2005, told workers at the company’s plant here in upstate New York that he would be giving them shares worth up to 10 percent of the company when it goes public or is sold. The goal, he said, is to pass along the wealth they have helped build in the decade since the company started. Chobani is now widely considered to be worth several billion dollars.
“I’ve built something I never thought would be such a success, but I cannot think of Chobani being built without all these people,” Ulukaya said in an interview in his Manhattan office that was granted on the condition that no details of the program would be disclosed before the announcement. “Now they'll be working to build the company even more and building their future at the same time.”
Employees got the news Tuesday morning. Each worker received a white packet; inside was information about how many “Chobani Shares” they were given. The number of shares given to each person is based on tenure, so the longer an employee has been at the company, the bigger the stake.
Never miss a local story.
Two years ago, when Chobani received a loan from TPG Capital, a private equity firm, the company’s value was estimated at $3 billion to $5 billion. At the $3 billion valuation, the average employee payout would be $150,000. The earliest employees, though, will most likely be given many more shares, possibly worth over $1 million.
The shares given to employees are coming directly from Ulukaya, who owns the vast majority of the company. The shares could be sold on private markets, or the employees could wait for the company to go public or be bought by another business, neither of which seems imminent.
This sort of transfer of shares to employees is rare in the food industry. In one of the few notable examples, Bob Moore, the founder of Bob’s Red Mill, a grains and cereals company, handed control of the company to its employees in 2010 with the creation of an employee stock ownership program.
The unusual announcement comes before TPG Capital, which helped bail out Chobani with a $750 million loan, can buy a stake in the company. Tension between Ulukaya and TPG about the direction of the company emerged shortly after the deal.
TPG has warrants to purchase 20 percent or more of Chobani’s shares, depending on targets set in the original deal it struck. But that percentage would now be calculated from the 90 percent of the remaining shares, after the 10 percent given to the employees, essentially diluting TPG’s potential stake.
In addition, a year ago, Ulukaya settled a lawsuit with his ex-wife, who was seeking a stake in the company. The terms of the settlement were not released.
Technology startups often pay employees partly in shares, to help recruit them and sometimes because they do not have the cash to pay employees competitive wages in the early days. Early employees of Google and Facebook became overnight multimillionaires thanks to such compensation.
But unlike many of those tech companies, Ulukaya is giving his employees a piece of the company after its value is firmly established.
Ulukaya will still own the vast majority of the company, though his stake will be diluted as well. He said that giving his employees a stake in the company’s success was among the terms he demanded when the deal with TPG was struck. The terms also included a commitment to never substitute cheaper ingredients in Chobani’s products, among other things.