* Wear disposable gloves or wash your hands thoroughly with hot, soapy water after handling reptiles, reptile cages or the stool of reptiles.
* Keep reptiles out of the kitchen, dining room and other areas where food is prepared or eaten.
* Do not bathe reptiles or wash reptile cages, dishes and aquariums in areas where children will be bathed. It is better for reptile owners to bathe their pets and let them swim in a separate tub or basin.
* Dispose of wastewater and fecal material in the toilet, not the bathtub or household sink.
Never miss a local story.
* Wash all food and water bowls and equipment with hot soapy water and disinfect with a chlorhexidine or household bleach solution. (Remember to rinse all disinfected utensils with clean water before using.)
* Do not eat, drink or smoke while handling reptiles, reptile cages or reptile equipment. Do not kiss reptiles or share food or drink with them.
* Wash your hands after coming into contact with an area where reptiles are allowed to roam free.