* Two-thirds of the city's homicide victims between 1997 and 2005 were killed with guns.
* Guns were used in about a third of the 2,038 violent crimes reported in 2005, including murders, rapes, robberies and aggravated assaults. This is a 3.5 percent increase in gun violence compared with 2004.
* Almost half of Raleigh's murder suspects and victims were convicted felons who, by law, could not legally possess or be near firearms.
* Guns were used in 50 percent of Raleigh's robberies in 2005.
Never miss a local story.
* The number of people 20 and younger arrested for robbery increased by 56 percent from 2004 to 2005.
* In 2005, police recovered 761 illegal firearms; 31 percent were taken from people between the ages of 15 and 24.
RALEIGH POLICE DEPARTMENT