GUNS IN RALEIGH
02/04/2006 12:00 AM
02/04/2006 3:59 AM
* Two-thirds of the city's homicide victims between 1997 and 2005 were killed with guns.
* Guns were used in about a third of the 2,038 violent crimes reported in 2005, including murders, rapes, robberies and aggravated assaults. This is a 3.5 percent increase in gun violence compared with 2004.
* Almost half of Raleigh's murder suspects and victims were convicted felons who, by law, could not legally possess or be near firearms.
* Guns were used in 50 percent of Raleigh's robberies in 2005.
* The number of people 20 and younger arrested for robbery increased by 56 percent from 2004 to 2005.
* In 2005, police recovered 761 illegal firearms; 31 percent were taken from people between the ages of 15 and 24.
RALEIGH POLICE DEPARTMENT
Join the Discussion
News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.