* Originally was Trinity College, which moved to Durham in 1892.
* In 1924, tobacco magnate James Duke donated a large amount of money to create the Duke Endowment, which permitted construction of two new campuses and the transformation of Trinity College into Duke University.
* Duke has strong ties with the United Methodist Church.
* Total undergraduate enrollment: about 6,200.
* Thirteen percent of first-year students at Duke are from North Carolina. Twenty-five percent are from other Southeast states, 19 percent from Mid-Atlantic states, 15 percent from Northeast states, 12 percent from the Midwest and 10 percent from West and Pacific states. Six percent are international students.
* Minority representation at Duke is 37.1 percent. Of that, 21.5 percent are Asian, 9 percent are black, and 6.5 percent are Hispanic.