Next year's new seven-period schedule at Chapel Hill high schools:
* Classes, now 55 minutes, will shrink to 50 minutes.
* The school day will get 15 minutes longer, dismissing at 3:50 p.m.
* An unofficial "zero period," in which students can earn credits by taking lessons before their first official class, will be dropped.
Never miss a local story.
* Most students will be expected to attend a teacher-supervised study hall during the added period.
* The schedule will be used only for a year. A more complex, seven-period "hybrid" schedule kicks in in 2007.