Registration is open for kindergarten in Wake County for the 2015-16 school year. Parents are asked to register at their child’s base school – which is the elementary school assigned to their address – for the 2015-16 school year. Families assigned to the new elementary schools opening in August – Abbotts Creek and Scotts Ridge – are asked to register at their 2014-15 base school. Go to bit.ly/1IAAAfH for more information on kindergarten registration, including what documents are required.
WCPSS School Expo 2015
Wake County’s public schools are holding open houses in January and February to include school tours, student performances, teacher meet-and-greets and more. Go to www.wcpss.net for a schedule.
Never miss a local story.
The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 28-March 18, $125.
• Basic Stringing and Crimping Necklace Workshop: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 28, $30.
• Gardening for the Home Chef: 6:30-9 p.m. Thursdays, Jan. 29-Feb. 19, $100.
• Basics of Baking I: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Feb. 2-23, $115.
• Beginner Latin Dance: 7:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Feb. 2-March 9, $100.
• Excel Introduction for Teachers: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Feb. 3-24, $85.
• Basic Cooking Skills I: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 4-25, $115.
• Canning, Freezing, Drying and Preserving Food: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 4-25, $100.
• Personal Computer & Windows Introduction: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 4-25, $85.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Setting Up Your Digital Camera: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 28, $52.
• Indian Cooking Series: North Indian Cuisine: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, $40.
Brier Creek information session
The school system has scheduled a meeting at Brier Creek Elementary School to answer questions about a proposal to relocate the school’s students to a new facility near Morrisville. The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 28, in the school cafeteria at 9801 Brier Creek Parkway, Raleigh.
Green Hope High School’s Freshman/Sophomore Parent Night will be from 5-6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, in the school’s auditorium at 2500 Carpenter Upchurch Road, Cary. The discussion will include high school planning, graduation requirements, college preparation and a presentation by an N.C. State University admission counselor.
Thales Academy tours
Thales Academy of Apex will host open houses for the elementary school, junior high and high school programs from 5:30-6:45 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 3, at 1177 Ambergate Station. For more information, go to www.thalesacademy.org.
The magnet school application period is open through Thursday, Feb. 5. Go to www.wcpss.net for information. Students need to be already registered in Wake’s computer system to be able to have a magnet application.
2015 Healthy Learning Summit
The 2015 Healthy Learning Summit will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 7, at Panther Creek High School, 6770 McCrimmon Parkway, Cary. Parents, teachers, school administrators, school nurses and professionals involved in health care in schools are invited. Registration costs $10 at bit.ly/1CUw6iD.
Sadie Hawkins Masquerade Charity Ball
Green Hope High School’s Sadie Hawkins Masquerade Charity Ball will be from 7:30-10 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 7, at 2500 Carpenter Upchurch Road, Cary. Tickets must be bought for $5 in advance during lunch on Friday, Jan. 30, Wednesday, Feb. 4, or Friday, Feb. 6. Tickets will not be sold at the door. A dance form must be completed; the form is at bit.ly/1unDOge.
Cary High School students will present “IMProv” shows monthly through May. Shows start at 7 p.m. in the school auditorium at 638 Walnut St., Cary. Shows will be on Friday, Feb. 13; Thursday, March 19; Friday, April 17; and Friday, May 15. Admission costs $2. For details, go to caryhsperformingarts.com.
Visual Arts Soup Bowl Supper
Green Hope High School’s Visual Arts Soup Bowl Supper will be Thursday, Feb. 26, at the Contemporary Art Museum, 409 W. Martin St., Raleigh. Tickets cost $20. For details, go to www.greenhopefinearts.org.