Cigarette started Morrisville apartment fire
05/16/2014 7:18 AM
02/15/2015 11:20 AM
The fire that displaced 24 people from an apartment building on Wednesday afternoon started as a result of a discarded cigarette, said a town of Morrisville spokeswoman.
The afternoon fire in the Bexley Park apartments on Autumn Day Drive brought firefighters and trucks from the Morrisville, Cary and Durham fire departments and affected 22 units with fire, smoke or water damage or loss of power, according to town officials and Red Cross spokeswoman Lu Esposito.
Esposito said the complex was allowed to restore power to all but nine apartments later Wednesday and residents returned. Red Cross workers arranged housing for 24 people Wednesday night, and no injuries were reported.
The fire broke out on the third floor of the three-story structure, and Morrisville town spokeswoman Stephanie Smith said Thursday that firefighters think it was started by a discarded cigarette on an apartment balcony.
Firefighters said an attic fire stop helped keep the blaze from spreading.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.