The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Catering for the Home Chef: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, July 7-28, $100.
• Word for Windows Intro: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, July 7-16, $85.
• Basics of Baking I: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, July 7-28, $115.
• Basics of Cooking I: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, July 9-30, $115.
• Digital Photos and Your Computer: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Thursdays, July 10-24, $85.
• Simple Web Page Design: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, July 21-28, $85.
• Author Marketing: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, $55.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• You Can Live in Health in an Unhealthy World: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, July 10-17, $125.
• Get Your Money in Shape: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 15, $48.
• You Can Live in Health in an Unhealthy World: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, July 15-22, $125.
• Get Your Money in Shape: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, $48.
Cary students play in All-State orchestra
Six Cary Academy Middle School orchestra students won chairs in the Eastern Regional Junior All-State Orchestra. In the Repertory Orchestra, Luke Henderson won the Concert Master’s chair, the first chair for the first violin section. Ethan Ng won Principal Player’s chair, the first chair for the second violin section. Thuc Dzu won the seventh chair in the cello section. In the Concert Orchestra, Leo DeSouza won sixth chair in the second violin section. Segin Park won the Principal Player’s chair, or the first chair in the viola section. Isaac Fan won the second chair in the violin section, but did not play in the orchestra due to a sports conflict.
Green Hope student will compete in Microsoft Office Specialist World Championship
Daniel Hill of Green Hope High School won the Microsoft Office Specialist U.S. National Championship in Microsoft Excel 2010. He will compete in the World Championship in California in July. Three other Green Hope students, Nina Joseph, Ali Khan and Michelle Sun, won second place.
150 Days of Giving
Wake Education Partnership is participating in First Tennessee Foundation’s 150 Days of Giving campaign to donate $5,000 to a different nonprofit each day through Thursday, Aug. 21, in an online voting competition. For details or to vote, go to 150daysofgiving.com.
Photo essay competition
The Cary Photographic Artists will sponsor a photo essay competition for Wake County students in ninth through 12th grade. Cash prizes range from $50 to $150, and the competition will end with an exhibit. For details, go to bit.ly/1kTh4U4.
To enter, choose one of four themes: “America to Me,” “Home Town Pride,” “Student Life” or “Our Natural World.” Send four images for your theme and a paragraph relating your photography to the theme to email@example.com between Monday, Sept. 1, and Thursday, Jan. 15.
Classroom Technology Awards
Wake Electric will accept applications from teachers for the Classroom Technology Awards grant program through Monday, Sept. 15. Grants of up to $3,000 are available. For details or to apply, call 919-863-6312 or 1-800-474-6300, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.wemc.com/classawards.aspx.