The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School• Simple Web Page Design: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, July 21-28, $85.
• Author Marketing: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, $55.
• Ballroom Dancing: 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 26-Nov. 4, $100.
• Basic Conversational Spanish II: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Aug. 18-Oct. 20, $125.
• Electrical Contractor’s Exam Preparation: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays, Aug. 18-Dec. 18, $290.
• Parent & Teen Night Out: Viva Latin America!: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 28, $58.
• PowerPoint Introduction: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 19-Sept. 9, $85.
• Servsafe Certification: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Aug. 25-27, $125.
• Spanish for School Personnel (Lessons 0-6): 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 26-Nov. 25, $162.
Reedy Creek Middle School• Get Your Money in Shape: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, $48.
• Spanish Short Stories: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 28-Nov. 20, $121.
• Triangle Youth Jazz Ensemble: 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 27-Dec. 17, $145.
Holly Grove Middle School outdoor center
Holly Grove Middle School received a grant from the Captain Planet Foundation in September. The school used the money to build a Bulldog Outdoor Learning Center. Students sketched a draft for the center, measured dimensions, planned for plant care and built tables. Rob Ball of RB Landscaping volunteered his crew’s time to mulch, trim hedges and transplant bushes in the learning center.
Give Us an A
Wake Electric has a drawing for 40 $25 Visa gift cards for students who receive at least one A (or its equivalent) on their report cards through the Give Us an A program. Students in any grade in several North Carolina counties, including Wake, may enter.
To enter, students need a copy of the report card with A grades highlighted, parents’ or guardians’ names, a home address, the name of their school, a phone number and an email address that is regularly checked. For details, go to www.wemc.com/giveusana.aspx.
150 Days of Giving
Wake Education Partnership is participating in First Tennessee Foundation’s 150 Days of Giving campaign to donate $5,000 to a different nonprofit each day through Thursday, Aug. 21, in an online voting competition. For details or to vote, go to 150daysofgiving.com.
Photo essay competition
The Cary Photographic Artists will sponsor a photo essay competition for Wake County students in ninth through 12th grade. Cash prizes range from $50 to $150, and the competition will end with an exhibit. For details, go to bit.ly/1kTh4U4.
To enter, choose one of four themes: “America to Me,” “Home Town Pride,” “Student Life” or “Our Natural World.” Send four images for your theme and a paragraph relating your photography to the theme to firstname.lastname@example.org between Monday, Sept. 1, and Thursday, Jan. 15.
Classroom Technology Awards
Wake Electric will accept applications from teachers for the Classroom Technology Awards grant program through Monday, Sept. 15. Grants of up to $3,000 are available. For details or to apply, call 919-863-6312 or 1-800-474-6300, email email@example.com or go to www.wemc.com/classawards.aspx.