‘Sweet Potatoes’ and ‘Southern Holidays’
April McGregor will discuss her cookbook, “Sweet Potatoes,” and Debbie Moose will discuss “Southern Holidays” at 3 p.m. at Barnes & Noble, 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Never miss a local story.
Fuquay-Varina will host a meeting for anyone interested in volunteering, acting or working as a guide for the Haunted Trail from 7-8 p.m. at 820 S. Main St. For more information, call 919-552-1432.
Toddler Story Time
Barnes & Noble hosts story time for toddlers at 10 a.m. Tuesdays at 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Cary Downtown Farmers Market
The Cary Downtown Farmers Market is open from 2-6 p.m. Tuesdays at 135 W. Chatham St. For details, go to www.caryfarmersmarket.com.
Bill Leslie concert
SearStone will host a concert by Bill Leslie from 4-5 p.m. in the Winston Clubhouse at 17001 SearStone Drive, Cary. To RSVP, call 919-500-7568. For details, go to www.searstone.com/events-cary-north-carolina.
Apex Railroads, Trains & The Depot
The Apex Historical Society will host Apex Railroads, Trains & The Depot, a program about the town’s railroad and the Apex Depot, at 7 p.m. at the Halle Cultural Arts Center, 237 N. Salem St., Apex.
Preschool Story Time
Barnes & Noble hosts story time for preschoolers at 10 a.m. Wednesdays at 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Wellness as a Lifestyle Lunch
Cambridge Village of Apex will host a free Wellness as a Lifestyle Lunch at noon at 951 S. Hughes St. To RSVP, call 919-363-2080.
The Growers Market of Fuquay-Varina is open from 3-6 p.m. Wednesdays in Centennial Square at the corner of North Main and East Academy streets. For details, visit www.growers-market.org.
Pickin’ in the Pines
The annual Pickin’ in the Pines concert series presents Acoustic Manner, Victoria Lee and New Ground at 5:30 p.m. at Koka Booth Amphitheatre, 8003 Regency Parkway, Cary. Tickets cost $5 for teens and adults, free for ages 12 and younger. For details and tickets, go to boothamphitheatre.com.
Compassion, Awareness and Learning program
Glenaire Retirement Community will host a Compassion, Awareness and Learning program with Imam Abdullah Antepli at 7 p.m. at 4000 Glenaire Circle, Cary. The public is welcome.
Holly Springs Community Band open rehearsal
The public is invited to listen to the Holly Springs Community Band rehearse from 7-8:45 p.m. Wednesdays at the Holly Springs Cultural Center, 300 W. Ballentine St. For more information, go to www.hollyspringsband.net.
Explore A Story
Story time and nature exploration for ages 3-5 will be from 10-11 a.m. at 900 Bass Lake Road, Holly Springs. An adult must accompany each child. Registration is required and free. To register, call 919-557-2496.
Kid Creations – Paper Feathers
The Holly Springs Cultural Center will host an art class for kids from 10-10:30 a.m. at 300 W. Ballentine St. Children ages 3-5 must be accompanied by a parent. Registration costs $2 for Holly Springs residents and $3 for non-residents. To register, call 919-567-4000 or go to www.hollyspringsnc.us.
• Receptions for “Art & Love in Pottery – Classical Greek Pottery” by Nelly Mejia and “Design in the Natural World” by J.J. Raia will be from 6-8 p.m. in Cary’s Town Hall, 316 N. Academy St.
• Receptions for “A Mother-Daughter Journey” by Gwen and Magenna Brink and “Illustrating Cary” by Jerry Miller will be from 6-8 p.m. at the Page-Walker Arts & History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary.
• A reception for “Our Take” by Bobby Nicks and Melissa Thiel will be from 6-8 p.m. at the Herbert C. Young Community Center, 101 Wilkinson Ave., Cary.
• A reception for “The Allure” by Mayura Yoelekar will be from 6-8 p.m. at the Cary Senior Center, 120 Maury Odell Place.
• A reception for “Farm,” a photography exhibition by Jayne Walther, will be from 6-9 p.m. at the Village Art Circle, 200 S. Academy St., Cary. Ten percent of sales from the show will be donated to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. For details, go towww.jaynewalther.com/farm-exhibit.html
Moonlight Sculpture Tour
Cary Visual Art will host a Moonlight Sculpture Tour of the Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition with an activity booth from 6-8 p.m. and tours at 8 p.m. starting in the Cary Visual Art activity tent in Ashworth Village on Academy Street. For details, go to bit.ly/1ueZdun.
• The Cary Downtown Farmers Market is open from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 135 W. Chatham St. For details, go towww.caryfarmersmarket.com
• The Western Wake Farmers’ Market is open from 8 a.m. to noon at 1225 Morrisville-Carpenter Road, Cary. For details, go towww.westernwakefarmersmarket.org
• The Holly Springs Farmers Market is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in downtown Holly Springs. For details, go towww.hollyspringsnc.us
• The Apex Farmers Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 220 N. Salem St., Apex. For details, go towww.apexfarmersmarket.weebly.com
• The Growers Market of Fuquay-Varina is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Centennial Square at the corner of North Main and East Academy streets. For details, go towww.growers-market.org
Amanda Wall-Corey Haddon Memorial Walk
The fourth annual Amanda Wall-Corey Haddon Memorial Walk to raise money for the Melanoma Research Foundation will start at 9 a.m. at Apex United Methodist Church, 100 S. Hughes St., Apex. Registration costs $25 and is free for ages 5 and younger. For details and registration, go to www.amanda-corey.com.
Dragon Boat Festival
Koka Booth Amphitheatre will host a Dragon Boat Festival from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 8003 Regency Parkway, Cary. There will be food, performances and a dragon boat race by local club and community teams. Admission and parking are free. For details, go to www.boothamphitheatre.com or dragonboatnc.wix.com/festival.
Cary, REI and the Friends of Hemlock Bluffs invite volunteers to help maintain trails at the Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve from 9:30 a.m. to noon at 2616 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Lunch will be provided. For details, call 919-387-5980 or go to bit.ly/1nXA1De.
Barnes & Noble will host an “Elf on the Shelf” story time at 11 a.m. at 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Jack Smith Park
A groundbreaking ceremony for Jack Smith Park will be from 2-3:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 27, at 9725 Penny Road, Cary.
The annual Downtown Bounty festival will be from 3-7 p.m. on Broad Street in downtown Fuquay-Varina. There will be music, vendors and activities for families. There will be live music, a local growers’ market, cooking competition and the annual Brunswick Stew Cook-Off with cash prizes. For details, go to www.fuquay-varinadowntown.com.