Faith Notes: April 6
04/04/2014 12:00 AM
04/02/2014 2:04 PM
North Cary Baptist seeks worship leader
North Cary Baptist Church is looking for a volunteer to lead the 11 a.m. Sunday worship service at 505 Reedy Creek Road. If you are interested, call the church office at 919-469-8023.
First Baptist Weekday Preschool
First Baptist Church - Cary’s First Baptist Weekday Preschool has openings for children ages 18 months to 5 years for 2014-15. Summer camp is available from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, June 2, to Friday, June 6; Monday, July 7, to Friday, July 11; and Monday, Aug. 4, to Friday, Aug. 8. The preschool is at 218 S. Academy St., Cary. For more information, contact Aliza Travis at 919-467-6356, ext. 114, or email@example.com, or go www.caryfbc.org/weekday.
St. Paul’s Preschool
St. Paul’s Preschool at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Cary is accepting registration for the 2014-15 school year. The church is at 221 Union St., Cary. For more information or to schedule a tour, contact Brooke Bowersox at 919-467-3788 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lent worship services
• First United Methodist Church - Cary will host worship services throughout Lent at 117 S. Academy St., Cary. For the schedule and details, go to www.fumc-cary.org/Lent.
• Christ the King Lutheran Church will host worship services at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Wednesdays through April 9 at 600 Walnut St., Cary. Dinner is at 5:45 p.m. Wednesdays before the 7 p.m. service. For details, go to www.christthekingcary.org.
The Point Church grand opening
The Point Church will celebrate its grand opening after merging with Cary Christian Church with worship services at 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Sunday, April 6, at 1503 Walnut St., Cary. For details, go to www.pointchurch.com.
Faith and Finance
Dorcas Ministries will host an 11-week financial management class from 6-9 p.m. Thursdays, April 8 through June 17, at 187 High House Road, Cary. Participants will learn about managing debt and loans, saving for emergencies and increasing their credit scores. The classes are free and include dinner. To sign up, call 919-469-9861, ext. 201, or email email@example.com.
Westwood Baptist Church will host a 13-week series of GriefShare meetings from 7-9 p.m. starting Tuesday, April 8, at 200 Westhigh St., Cary. The program costs $25. For details, call 919-469-9393 or go to www.westwoodbc.org.
Singles worship night
Hope Community Church will host a worship night for single adults from 7-9:15 p.m. Friday, April 11, at 821 Buck Jones Road, Raleigh. Ginger Warner will give a speech, “On Dry Ground – God’s Providence in the Middle of Crisis.” There will be a potluck, social time and live worship service. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.facebook.com/hccjourney.
Easter celebrations• Sunrise United Methodist Church will host its annual Easter Egg Hunt from 10:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 12, at 5420 Sunset Lake Road, Holly Springs. The church is looking for volunteers to help set up the event. If you are interested, contact Mary Moss at email@example.com or Cris Preble at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ambassador Presbyterian Church will host an Easter Festival and Egg Hunt from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday, April 12, at 1010 Schieffelin Road, Apex. In case of bad weather, the event will be on Saturday, April 19. There will be an egg hunt for ages 12 and younger (in four age groups), inflatables, carnival games and prizes, crafts and a hot dog lunch. The event is free and open to the public. For details, call 919-249-0230 or go to www.ambassadorpres.org.
• Westwood Baptist Church will host a Children’s Easter Celebration for children in grades one through six at 11:40 a.m. Sunday, April 13, at 200 Westhigh St., Cary. For details, call 919-469-9393.
• Westwood Baptist Church will host an Easter egg hunt at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 19, at 200 Westhigh St., Cary. For details, call 919-469-9393.
• HillCity Church will host an Easter egg hunt at 11:15 a.m. in the parking lot at Highcroft Drive Elementary School, 5415 Highcroft Drive, Cary. There will be a bounce house, train rides, hot dogs, egg hunts for toddlers and elementary school students and a $75 prize in each egg hunt. For details, go to www.hillcitychurch.tv.
• Westwood Baptist Church will host an Easter sunrise service at 6:45 a.m. Sunday, April 20, at 200 Westhigh St., Cary. Breakfast will follow the service at 7:30 a.m. The church’s Easter morning worship service will be at 10:30 a.m. For details, call 919-469-9393 or go to www.westwoodbc.org.
Holy Week at Genesis United Methodist Church
Genesis United Methodist Church will host worship services from Sunday, April 13, through Sunday, April 20, at 850 High House Road, Cary. Here’s the schedule of events:• 9 a.m., 11:20 a.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday, April 13: Palm Sunday worship services. The Genesis Chancel Choir will present “I Am the Lord of the Dance” at the 7 p.m. service.
• 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 16: Contemplative worship service.
• 7 p.m. Thursday, April 17: Maundy Thursday worship service.
• 9 a.m. and 11:20 a.m. Sunday, April 20: Easter worship services.
For details, go to www.genesis-umc.org.
Palm Sunday services• White Plains United Methodist Church will host worship services at 8:20 a.m. and 11 a.m. with a Palm Sunday event after the 11 a.m. service Sunday, April 13, at 313 SE Maynard Road, Cary. For details, go to www.wpumc.com.
• Westwood Baptist Church will host a Palm Sunday worship service at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, April 13, at 200 Westhigh St., Cary. For details, call 919-469-9393 or go to www.westwoodbc.org.
Christian Book Drive
Sunrise United Methodist Church will host the Christian Book Drive for Christian Library International, a ministry from Raleigh that distributes Christian reading material to prisons, through Sunday, April 13, at 5420 Sunset Lake Road, Holly Springs. Christian Library International needs Bibles and Christian books, novels, CDs, DVDs, videos, Bible studies and devotionals in English or Spanish. For more information, go to www.christianlibraryinternational.org.
Finishing Well: Your Decision Matters
Cary Presbyterian Church and Hospice of Wake County will host a class, Finishing Well: Your Decision Matters, for National Healthcare Decisions Day at 10 a.m. Monday, April 14, at 614 Griffis St., Cary. Complimentary Five Wishes documentation will be offered. Five Wishes is an advance directive by nonprofit Aging with Dignity. To RSVP, email email@example.com.
Holy Week at New Hope Missionary Baptist Church
The International Community Fellowship of Churches will host annual Holy Week Services at 7 p.m. Monday, April 14, through Friday, April 18, at New Hope Missionary Baptist Church, 581 New Hope Church Road, Apex. Here’s the schedule of speakers:• Monday, April 14: the Rev. Dr. Harry White Jr., pastor of Watts Chapel Missionary Baptist Church in Raleigh.
• Tuesday, April 15: the Rev. Dr. Carson Jones, pastor of Coley Springs Missionary Baptist Church in Warrenton.
• Wednesday, April 16: the Rev. Dr. Rodney Coleman, pastor of First Baptist Church of Chapel Hill.
• Thursday, April 17: the Rev. Dr. Franklin Williams Jr., pastor of Roanoke Chapel Baptist Church in Jackson.
For more information, call the church office at 919-362-7074.
Raleigh Christian Women’s Connection
The Raleigh Christian Women’s Connection will meet for a concert by singers and songwriters Jonathan and Emily Martin and an inspirational speech by Sarah Bush from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 15, at the N.C. State University Club, 4200 Hillsborough St., Raleigh. Lunch costs $16 and a free nursery is available. RSVP by Thursday, April 10, by calling 919-337-8003 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maundy Thursday, Good Friday services• Sunrise United Methodist Church will host a Maundy Thursday worship service at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 17, and a Good Friday service at 7 p.m. Friday, April 18, at 5420 Sunset Lake Road, Holly Springs. For details, go to www.mysunrise.org.
• Westwood Baptist Church will host a Maundy Thursday worship service at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 17, at 200 Westhigh St., Cary. For details, call 919-469-9393 or go to www.westwoodbc.org.
First United Methodist Church - Cary will host a musical Tenebrae service with Craig Courtney at 7 p.m. Friday, April 18, at 117 S. Academy St., Cary. For details, go to www.fumc-cary.org.
‘From the Cradle to the Cross’
Westwood Baptist Church will host an Easter drive-through event, “From the Cradle to the Cross,” from 8-9:30 p.m. Friday, April 18, at 200 Westhigh St., Cary. For details, call 919-469-9393 or go to www.westwoodbc.org.
Christ the King Preschool registration
Christ the King Preschool of Christ the King Lutheran Church is accepting registration for ages 2-5 for the 2014-15 school year. The church is at 600 Walnut St., Cary. For more information, go to www.christthekingcary.org/Preschool/Registration.aspx.
Contemplative worship service
Woodhaven Baptist Church offers a contemplative worship service with meditation from 8:30-9:15 a.m. Sundays at 4000 Kildaire Farm Road, Apex.
Worship services at The Cary
First United Methodist Church - Cary hosts worship services at The Cary theater at 9:45 a.m. Sundays at 122 E. Chatham St.
Walk tHis Way
White Plains United Methodist Church will host Walk tHis Way, a walking and social group, from 7-7:45 a.m. Mondays through Thursdays in the Christian Life Center gym at 313 SE Maynard Road, Cary. For details, go to www.wpumc.com.
Holly Springs United Methodist Church hosts “There is a Solution” Alcoholics Anonymous group meetings from 7-8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at 108 Avent Ferry Road.
Sisters in Support
White Plains United Methodist Church hosts a support group for women who had or currently have breast cancer from 7-8:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at 313 SE Maynard Road, Cary. For more information, email Lee Heathcoat at email@example.com.
Family support ministry meeting
A family support ministry organized by Mary Williams-Farrington and the Pardoned by Christ Ministry meets the first, second and fourth Tuesday of every month at The Point Church, 1503 Walnut St., Cary. The ministry provides support for people who have been incarcerated or who have or have had an incarcerated family member. For details, call 919-272-3045 or 919-255-5883 or go to www.pardonedbychrist.org.
Fuquay-Varina United Methodist Church hosts Overeaters Anonymous meetings from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays in room 126, 100 Judd Parkway. The group’s supportive meetings don’t include weigh-ins, diets or fees. For more information, call 919-557-7712 or 919-771-1393.
Summit Evangelical Covenant Church will host Celebrate Recovery meetings for people recovering from hurting, hangups and habits at 8 p.m. Wednesdays at 590 Westhigh St., Cary. For more information on Celebrate Recovery, go to www.celebraterecovery.com. For more information on the church’s program, go to www.summitnc.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cary Presbyterian Church offers a labyrinth meditation walk from 5:30-7:30 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month at 614 Griffis St. For details, call 919-469-1337 or visit www.carypresbyterian.org.
Cancer support group
A cancer support group meets the second Wednesday of each month from 7-8:30 p.m. in Room WC108 at Colonial Baptist Church, 6051 Tryon Road, Cary. Details: Phyllis Travers, 919-233-0355.
Author and speaker Sarah Bush will host a 12-week study on prayer with her book, “The Invitation – Come Boldly to the Throne of Grace,” from 10-11:30 a.m. or 7-8:30 p.m. Thursdays at 708 Town Side Drive, Apex. For information or registration, email email@example.com.
The Knights of Columbus Council 12119 hosts jackpot bingo at 7 p.m. Thursdays at St. Bernadette Catholic Church, 1005 Wilbon Road, Fuquay-Varina. Doors open at 6 p.m. Food and beverages available. Details: Al Munno, 919-557-7718, or Sonny Butler, 845-797-0830.
Celebrate Recovery for Women
Celebrate Recovery for Women meets at 6 p.m. every Friday at the homes of members of North Cary Baptist Church. The group helps women with hurting, hangups and habits. Details: 919-469-8023.
Brown Bag Ministry
The Brown Bag Ministry, which feeds more than 1,400 people a week, is looking for middle- and high school-age volunteers. The group meets at St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church in Apex about 9 a.m. Saturdays. Volunteers prepare bagged meals and hand them out in Raleigh. The group usually finishes by 1 p.m. Details: www.brownbagministry.org.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.