Upcoming events for Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville.
The Stevens Nature Center hosts activities at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve, 2616 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call 919-387-5980.
▪ Family Program: The Magic Garden (all ages with a caregiver): 2-3:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 2. Family fee: $16 residents, $20 nonresidents.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Discovery Days Mini-Camps: Wildlife Trackers (ages 8-12): 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Oct. 3, to Wednesday, Oct. 5. Cost: $54 residents, $68 nonresidents.
▪ Curious Creatures: Squirrels: Day and Night (ages 5-8): 1-3 p.m. Friday, Oct. 7. Cost: $12 residents, $16 nonresidents.
▪ Nature Nuts : Snails (ages 3-5 with a caregiver): 10-11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 8. Cost: $10 residents, $13 nonresidents.
▪ Curiosity Club: Birds of Prey (ages 5-8): 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 9. Cost: $12 residents, $16 nonresidents.
▪ Discovery Days Mini-Camps: Growing Up Wild (ages 5-7): 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Oct. 10, to Wednesday, Oct. 12. Cost: $54 residents, $68 nonresidents.
Registration is underway for area walks, races and a marathon.
▪ Sunday, Oct. 9: Triangle Down Syndrome Network Buddy Walk, Sugg Farm, Grigsby Ave., Holly Springs. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2dzFt4u.
▪ Sunday, Oct. 23: Cary Fire House Tour Marathon full, half or 10K. Throughout Cary. Tribute to fallen firefighter Jon Schondelmayer. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2aPcMOR.
▪ Saturday, Nov. 12: Cary Unity Walk. The walk begins in downtown Cary and travels to Wake Med Soccer Park, 201 Soccer Park Drive. Afterward at 9 a.m., a festival, featuring mile, 5K and 10K runs, entertainment and vendors, will be held at the park. The event will benefit area nonprofits. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2cKfDZw.
Apex Specialized Recreation and Inclusion Services presents Bingo Night from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Monday, Oct. 10, at Apex Community Center, 53 Hunter St. For persons with special needs ages 16 and older. Cost: $5. To register, go to apexnc.org/programguide. Another Bingo Night is scheduled Monday, Nov. 14. For more information, call 919-249-3507 or email Allie Prelakse at email@example.com.
The SAS Championship is Oct. 14-16 at Prestonwood Country Club, 300 Prestonwood Parkway, Cary. Tournament proceeds will benefit the YMCA of the Triangle’s Y Learning Program. A 5K run or walk is 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 15. For more information, tickets and to register for the 5K, go to saschampionship.com, bit.ly/2cLpRbl.
Harris Lake Park
Upcoming programs at Harris Lake County Park, 2112 County Park Drive, New Hill. Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Advance registration required for all programs. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/1YF8gC1. 919-387-4342, bit.ly/213kQMG
▪ Sunset Campfire (all ages): 6:30-8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 14. $1 per person.
▪ Nature Through Sign Language (all ages): 11 a.m. to noon Monday, Oct. 17. $1 per person.
▪ Citizen Science (ages 8 and older): 3-5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 20. Free.
▪ Super Spiders (all ages): 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 29. $1 per person.
Fall Litter Sweep
Morrisville’s Fall Litter Sweep is 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Oct. 15, beginning at Town Hall, 100 Town Hall Drive. Rain date is Oct. 22. For more information, go to bit.ly/2ck2gMK.
The Fuquay-Varina Fire Department celebrates National Fire Safety Week with an open house from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 15, at 302 E. Vance St. For more information, go to bit.ly/2c65ic7.
The fall Shred Day in Apex is 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Oct. 15, in the Saunders Street parking lot across from the Police Department. Limit of 3 small boxes or bags. Free. For more information, go to bit.ly/2czqTu3.
▪ Track or Treat Halloween Express Oct. 15, 22 and 29 at New Hope Valley Railway, 3900 Bonsal Road, New Hill. Tickets: $13; free for children under age 2. For more information and tickets, go to TriangleTrain.com.
▪ The Haunted Trail: Family Fright is 5-8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 15, at Carroll Howard Johnson Environmental Park, 301 Wagstaff Road, Fuquay-Varina. Free. The Full Fright Haunted Trail begins at 7 p.m. at 302 Wagstaff Road. Not recommended for those who frighten easily. For more information, go to bit.ly/2c65ic7.
▪ The Halloween Hike is 6-7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 21, on the American Tobacco Trail in Apex. For all ages. Costumes welcome. Cost: $1 person. Participants will meet at the New Hill Parking Area, 1309 New Hill-Olive Chapel Road, and then explore the trail by moonlight. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/1WUKMbu.
▪ A Costume Dance Party is 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at the Cary Arts Center, 101 Dry Ave. Cost: $1 per person. The event will feature refreshments, an art activity, dancing and costume awards. For ages 5-12 with a caregiver. For more information, call 919-469-4069. bit.ly/2d0Mhq9
▪ The Pumpkin Carving Wagon Ride is 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at Harris Lake County Park, 2112 County Park Drive, New Hill. Cost: $1 per person; for all ages. Participants meet at the Longleaf Shelter for a wagon ride and then carve a Halloween pumpkin. Registration required; go to bit.ly/1YF8gC1. 919-387-4342, bit.ly/213kQMG
▪ The annual Creepy Crabtree Halloween celebration is 2-6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at Lake Crabtree County Park, 1400 Aviation Parkway, Morrisville. Free; no registration required. Costumes welcome. Scavenger hunts, crafts and games will be featured. For more information, go to bit.ly/29z1M7o.
▪ The Reel-ly Scary Cary Film Series and Haunted House and Trail is 6-10 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 27, to Saturday, Oct. 29. Tickets: $10 for ages 13 and older; free for children 12 and under (movie only; Haunted House not recommended children 12 and under). Food and non-alcoholic beverages allowed. Bring lawn chairs or blankets. No pets. For more information and a schedule of films, go to bit.ly/2dp4OuN.
▪ Trick or Treat in downtown Fuquay-Varina is 2-5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28, at participating businesses. For children ages 10 and younger. fuquay-varinadowntown.com
▪ Zombiepalooza begins at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28, at The Cary theater, 122 E. Chatham St. Free. Screenings of zombie films by local filmmakers will be featured. A showing of “The Night of the Living Dead” is 9:30 p.m. outside the theater. Zombie costumes welcome. Face-painting will be available on site. Refreshments provided. For more information, go to bit.ly/2cApRxJ.
▪ The Great Pumpkin Carve is 2-8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Ivey-Ellington House, 135 W. Chatham St., downtown Cary. Charge for pumpkins; all activities free. For more information, go to bit.ly/2d0Mhq9.
▪ Trick or Treat the Trail is 4-7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, along Hatcher Creek Trail at Morrisville Community Park, 1520 Morrisville Parkway. Costumes welcome. Food trucks will be on site. Free. For more information, go to bit.ly/2cR2w6w.
▪ The Goblin’s Groove Family Dance is 7-9:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Halle Cultural Arts Center, 237 N. Salem St., Apex. Parent/child dance; all children must be accompanied by an adult. Costumes welcome. Refreshments provided. Tickets: $5 a couple, $2 per additional child. For more information and tickets, go to bit.ly/2cz25Ny.
The Apex Friendship High School Lady Patriots volleyball team hosts a fundraiser for Bob’s Buddies at games Tuesday, Oct. 18, at the school, 7801 Humie Olive Road, Apex. Gates open at 4 p.m. The junior varsity game is 5 p.m. against Holly Springs High School. The varsity game is 6 p.m. Admission: $5. Bob’s Buddies supports children with brain tumors and their families. Raffle and other special sales will be held. bobsbuddies.com
Taste of the South
Sara Foster, owner of Foster’s Market in Durham and author of “Sara Foster’s Southern Kitchen,” discusses her cookbook and recipes from 3-4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at Eva Perry Regional Library, 2100 Shepherd’s Vineyard Drive, Apex. Registration requested; call 919-387-2100 or go to bit.ly/1Us9hOQ.
The Friends of the Page-Walker host the program More Mysteries and Secrets: Exploring Cary Area Cemeteries at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25, at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, downtown Cary. Free. For more information, call 919-460-4963 or go to friendsofpagewalker.org.
The last fall Wine Walk for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund is 5-8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28, at Waverly Place shopping center, 2001 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Sampling glasses are $10; wine samples and special promotions will be available at participating merchants. A raffle will be held. waverlycary.com
Antiques Appraisal Fair
The Friends of the Page-Walker host fundraising events featuring antiques expert Ken Farmer, with the popular PBS series “Antiques Roadshow,” Nov. 4-5 at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, downtown Cary. A reception and presentation by Farmer is 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 4. Cost: $25 per person. The Antiques Appraisal Fair is 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5. Tickets are available in one-hour time slots. Cost: $10 per item, limit 3 items. For more information and tickets, go to friendsofpagewalker.org.
The annual Christmas Bazaar at St. Bernadette Catholic Church in Fuquay-Varina is 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 4, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5, at the church, 1005 Wilbon Road.
The Mistletoe Market fundraiser for the Green Hope Fine Arts Boosters is 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 19, at Green Hope High School, 2500 Carpenter Upchurch Road, Cary. Free admission. bit.ly/2cwuHqW
Tobacco Road Marathon
Registration is underway for the Allscripts Tobacco Road Marathon and Half Marathon March 19, 2017, on the American Tobacco Trail. The event is a fundraiser for the Hope for the Warriors, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the American Red Cross, the Rails to Trails Conservancy and Wake County Parks and Recreation. For information on costs and to register, go to tobaccoroadmarathon.com.
Send Community Notes to firstname.lastname@example.org.