Upcoming events for Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville.
The Stevens Nature Center hosts activities at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve, 2616 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call 919-387-5980.
▪ Curiosity Club: Birds of Prey (ages 5-8): 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 9. Cost: $12 residents, $16 nonresidents.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Discovery Days Mini-Camps: Growing Up Wild (ages 5-7): 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Oct. 10, to Wednesday, Oct. 12. Cost: $54 residents, $68 nonresidents.
▪ Silver Naturalists: White Oak Creek Fall Ramble (ages 55 and up): 10-11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 11. Cost: $5 residents, $7 nonresidents.
▪ Eco-Express: Searching or snakes (ages 8-12): 1-3 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 13. Cost: $12 residents, $16 nonresidents.
▪ Eco-Explorers: Exploration: Animal Defenses (ages 7-10): 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Oct. 15. Cost: $12 residents, $16 nonresidents.
▪ Junior Naturalist: Wildlife Detectives (ages 5-8 with a caregiver): 1-2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 15. Cost: $8 residents, $10 nonresidents.
▪ Adult Nature Programs: Nature After Dark (ages 16 and up): 6-7:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 16. Cost: $6 residents, $8 nonresidents.
Registration is underway for area walks, races and a marathon.
▪ Saturday, Oct. 22: Love Heals 5K Run/Walk at Rally Point Sport Grill, Harrison Square, 1837 N. Harrison Ave., Cary. Fundraiser for InterAct. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2dbJlF0.
▪ Sunday, Oct. 23: Cary Fire House Tour Marathon full, half or 10K. Throughout Cary. Tribute to fallen firefighter Jon Schondelmayer. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2aPcMOR.
▪ Saturday, Nov. 12: Cary Unity Walk. The walk begins in downtown Cary and travels to Wake Med Soccer Park, 201 Soccer Park Drive. Afterward at 9 a.m., a festival, featuring mile, 5K and 10K runs, entertainment and vendors, will be held at the park. The event will benefit area nonprofits. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2cKfDZw.
Harris Lake Park
Upcoming programs at Harris Lake County Park, 2112 County Park Drive, New Hill. Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Advance registration required for all programs. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/1YF8gC1. 919-387-4342, bit.ly/213kQMG
▪ Nature Through Sign Language (all ages): 11 a.m. to noon Monday, Oct. 17. $1 per person.
▪ Citizen Science (ages 8 and older): 3-5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 20. Free.
▪ Super Spiders (all ages): 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 29. $1 per person.
▪ Sunset Campfire (all ages): 6-7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29. $1 per person.
The Apex Friendship High School Lady Patriots volleyball team hosts a fundraiser for Bob’s Buddies at games Tuesday, Oct. 18, at the school, 7801 Humie Olive Road, Apex. Gates open at 4 p.m. The junior varsity game is 5 p.m. against Holly Springs High School. The varsity game is 6 p.m. Admission: $5. Bob’s Buddies supports children with brain tumors and their families. Raffle and other special sales will be held. bobsbuddies.com
A Fall Festival is 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Oct. 22, at Westhigh Church, 590 Westhigh St., Cary. The event will feature children’s activities, games, bounce houses and more.
Taste of the South
Sara Foster, owner of Foster’s Market in Durham and author of “Sara Foster’s Southern Kitchen,” discusses her cookbook and recipes from 3-4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at Eva Perry Regional Library, 2100 Shepherd’s Vineyard Drive, Apex. Registration requested; call 919-387-2100 or go to bit.ly/1Us9hOQ.
The Friends of the Page-Walker host the program More Mysteries and Secrets: Exploring Cary Area Cemeteries at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25, at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, downtown Cary. Free. For more information, call 919-460-4963 or go to friendsofpagewalker.org.
The last fall Wine Walk for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund is 5-8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28, at Waverly Place shopping center, 2001 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Sampling glasses are $10; wine samples and special promotions will be available at participating merchants. A raffle will be held. waverlycary.com
The fourth annual Canine Contests are 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at Crowder District Park, 4709 Ten-Ten Road, Apex. The event will feature contests for the best dog tricks and the coolest canine costume. Free; no registration required. For more information, go to bit.ly/2d9ixoY.
Antiques Appraisal Fair
The Friends of the Page-Walker host fundraising events featuring antiques expert Ken Farmer, with the popular PBS series “Antiques Roadshow,” Nov. 4-5 at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, downtown Cary. A reception and presentation by Farmer is 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 4. Cost: $25 per person. The Antiques Appraisal Fair is 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5. Tickets are available in one-hour time slots. Cost: $10 per item, limit 3 items. For more information and tickets, go to friendsofpagewalker.org.
▪ The annual Christmas Bazaar at St. Bernadette Catholic Church in Fuquay-Varina is 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 4, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5, at the church, 1005 Wilbon Road.
▪ The Christmas Shopping Spree at Genesis United Methodist Church is 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12, at the church, 850 High House Road, Cary. genesis-umc.org/web
▪ The Arts and Crafts Festival for Outreach is 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12, at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 221 Union St., Cary. The event will feature strolling carolers, food trucks, pottery and other artwork, jewelry, bake and book sales, a raffle and more. Free admission and parking. Fundraiser for Dorcas Ministries, Wheels4Hope and other Outreach projects. For more information, go to stpaulscary.org/festival.
▪ The Mistletoe Market fundraiser for the Green Hope Fine Arts Boosters is 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 19, at Green Hope High School, 2500 Carpenter Upchurch Road, Cary. Free admission. bit.ly/2cwuHqW
▪ The Mistletoe Madness Holiday Market is noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Fuquay-Varina Woman’s Clubhouse, 602 N. Ennis St. bit.ly/1yCXT4H
Operation: Coming Home
The eighth annual Operation: Coming Home Sporting Clays Tournament is 8 a.m. Friday, Nov. 11, at Drake Landing, 3146 Chalybeate Springs Road, Fuquay-Varina. All proceeds from the skeet shoot go to Operation: Coming Home, which provides specially adapted new homes to wounded veterans. Cost: $150 per person, $850 per four-person team. For more information, call Lauren Matas at 336-317-3856 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. operationcominghome.com
Tobacco Road Marathon
Registration is underway for the Allscripts Tobacco Road Marathon and Half Marathon March 19, 2017, on the American Tobacco Trail. The event is a fundraiser for the Hope for the Warriors, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the American Red Cross, the Rails to Trails Conservancy and Wake County Parks and Recreation. For information on costs and to register, go to tobaccoroadmarathon.com.
Send Community Notes to email@example.com.
Fall and Halloween events
▪ Track or Treat Halloween Express Oct. 15, 22 and 29 at New Hope Valley Railway, 3900 Bonsal Road, New Hill. Tickets: $13; free for children under age 2. For more information and tickets, go to TriangleTrain.com.
▪ The Halloween Hike is 6-7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 21, on the American Tobacco Trail in Apex. For all ages. Costumes welcome. Cost: $1 person. Participants will meet at the New Hill Parking Area, 1309 New Hill-Olive Chapel Road, and then explore the trail by moonlight. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/1WUKMbu.
▪ A Costume Dance Party is 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at the Cary Arts Center, 101 Dry Ave. Cost: $1 per person. The event will feature refreshments, an art activity, dancing and costume awards. For ages 5-12 with a caregiver. For more information, call 919-469-4069. bit.ly/2d0Mhq9
▪ The Pumpkin Carving Wagon Ride is 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at Harris Lake County Park, 2112 County Park Drive, New Hill. Cost: $1 per person; for all ages. Participants meet at the Longleaf Shelter for a wagon ride and then carve a Halloween pumpkin. Registration required; go to bit.ly/1YF8gC1. 919-387-4342, bit.ly/213kQMG
▪ The annual Creepy Crabtree Halloween celebration is 2-6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at Lake Crabtree County Park, 1400 Aviation Parkway, Morrisville. Free; no registration required. Costumes welcome. Scavenger hunts, crafts and games will be featured. For more information, go to bit.ly/29z1M7o.
▪ The Reel-ly Scary Cary Film Series and Haunted House and Trail is 6-10 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 27, to Saturday, Oct. 29. Tickets: $10 for ages 13 and older; free for children 12 and under (movie only; Haunted House not recommended children 12 and under). Food and non-alcoholic beverages allowed. Bring lawn chairs or blankets. No pets. For more information and a schedule of films, go to bit.ly/2dp4OuN.
▪ Trick or Treat in downtown Fuquay-Varina is 2-5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28, at participating businesses. For children ages 10 and younger. fuquay-varinadowntown.com
▪ Zombiepalooza begins at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28, at The Cary theater, 122 E. Chatham St. Free. Screenings of zombie films by local filmmakers will be featured. A showing of “The Night of the Living Dead” is 9:30 p.m. outside the theater. Zombie costumes welcome. Face-painting will be available on site. Refreshments provided. For more information, go to bit.ly/2cApRxJ.
▪ The Great Pumpkin Carve is 2-8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Ivey-Ellington House, 135 W. Chatham St., downtown Cary. Charge for pumpkins; all activities free. For more information, go to bit.ly/2d0Mhq9.
▪ The Halloween Mall Crawl is 4-5:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at Cary Towne Center, 1105 Walnut St. Free; all ages. bit.ly/1lM4clh
▪ Trick or Treat the Trail is 4-7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, along Hatcher Creek Trail at Morrisville Community Park, 1520 Morrisville Parkway. Costumes welcome. The Morrisville police and fire departments will host Trunk or Treat, featuring decorated police cars and fire trucks, during the event. Free. Food trucks will be on site. For more information, go to bit.ly/2cR2w6w.
▪ Herbert’s Haunted House is 6:30-9 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Herb Young Community Center, 101 Wilkinson Ave., Cary. For all ages. Cost: $2 per person. For more information: bit.ly/1lM4clh.
▪ The Goblin’s Groove Family Dance is 7-9:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Halle Cultural Arts Center, 237 N. Salem St., Apex. Parent/child dance; all children must be accompanied by an adult. Costumes welcome. Refreshments provided. Tickets: $5 a couple, $2 per additional child. For more information and tickets, go to bit.ly/2cz25Ny.
▪ Haunted Tales of Yesteryear is 7 and 9 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, downtown Cary. Recommended for ages 12 and older. Tickets: $17 per person. For more information and tickets: bit.ly/1lM4clh.
▪ The Pumpkin Flotilla is 4-7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 30, at the Bond Park Boathouse, 801 High House Road, Cary. Free; all ages. For more information: bit.ly/1lM4clh.