Upcoming events for Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville.
The Stevens Nature Center hosts activities at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve, 2616 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call 919-387-5980.
▪ Night Out in Nature (ages 8-12): 6-9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28. Cost: $18 resident, $23 nonresident.
▪ Nature Nuts: Bats (ages 3-5 with a caregiver): 10-11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 29. Cost: $10 resident, $13 nonresident.
▪ Adult Nature Workshop: Fall Nature Photography (ages 18 and older): 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29. Cost: $15 resident, $20 nonresident.
▪ Family Program: Halloween Animal Tales at Bond Park (all ages): 6-7:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 30. Cost: $16 resident, $20 nonresident.
▪ Eco-Express: Hemlock Bluffs Mythbusters (ages 8-12): 10 a.m. to noon Monday, Oct. 31. Cost: $12 resident, $16 nonresident.
▪ Kids Fun Day: Owl-Ween Adventure (ages 5-8): 1-3 p.m. Monday, Oct. 31. Cost: $12 resident, $16 nonresident.
Cary Band Day
The 58th annual Cary Band Day is Saturday, Oct. 29, at Cary High School. The event begins at 10 a.m. and continues into the evening. More than 30 bands from throughout North Carolina and other states are scheduled to compete. The UNC-Charlotte Pride of Niner Nation Marching Band is the guest band this year. Cost: $10 adults, $5 ages 10 to 5, free for ages 4 and younger. For more information, tickets and a schedule of participating bands, go to caryband.org.
Antiques Appraisal Fair
The Friends of the Page-Walker hold fundraising events featuring antiques expert Ken Farmer, with the popular PBS series “Antiques Roadshow,” Nov. 4-5 at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, downtown Cary.
A reception and presentation by Farmer, “Tales From the Road and New Discoveries,” is 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 4. Cost: $25 per person. The Antiques Appraisal Fair is 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5. Tickets are available in one-hour time slots. Cost: $10 per item, limit 3 items. For more information and tickets, go to friendsofpagewalker.org.
▪ The annual Christmas Bazaar at St. Bernadette Catholic Church in Fuquay-Varina is 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 4, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5, at the church, 1005 Wilbon Road.
▪ St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church, 3008 Old Raleigh Road, Apex, holds its annual Craft Fair from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5. saintandrew.org
▪ The fifth annual Winter Wonders Craft Fair is 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5, at Middle Creek High School, 123 Middle Creek Park Ave., Apex. mchs-ptsa.com
▪ The Christmas Shopping Spree at Genesis United Methodist Church is 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12, at the church, 850 High House Road, Cary. genesis-umc.org/web
▪ The Arts and Crafts Festival for Outreach is 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12, at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 221 Union St., Cary. The event will feature strolling carolers, food trucks, pottery and other artwork, jewelry, bake and book sales, a raffle and more. Free admission and parking. Fundraiser for Dorcas Ministries, Wheels4Hope and other Outreach projects. For more information, go to stpaulscary.org/festival.
▪ The Mistletoe Market fundraiser for the Green Hope Fine Arts Boosters is 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 19, at Green Hope High School, 2500 Carpenter Upchurch Road, Cary. Free admission. bit.ly/2cwuHqW
▪ The Mistletoe Madness Holiday Market is noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Fuquay-Varina Woman’s Clubhouse, 602 N. Ennis St. bit.ly/1yCXT4H
A fundraiser for Cary VFW Post 7383 is Monday, Nov. 7, at Abbey Road Tavern and Grill, 1195 W. Chatham St., Cary. The restaurant will donate 15 percent of purchases to the veterans group. abbeyroadcary.com, caryvfw7383.org
Harris Lake Park
Upcoming programs at Harris Lake County Park, 2112 County Park Drive, New Hill. Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Advance registration required for all programs. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/1YF8gC1. 919-387-4342, bit.ly/213kQMG
▪ Canoe, Craft and Campfire (ages 8 and up): 3-7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9. $3 per person.
▪ Citizen Science (ages 8 and older): 3-5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 17. Free.
▪ Scurrying Squirrels in Search of Seeds (all ages): 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 19. $1 per person.
▪ Wagon Ride with Santa (all ages): 3-4:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10. $2 per person.
▪ The eighth annual Operation: Coming Home Sporting Clays Tournament is 8 a.m. Friday, Nov. 11, at Drake Landing, 3146 Chalybeate Springs Road, Fuquay-Varina. All proceeds from the skeet shoot go to Operation: Coming Home, which provides specially adapted new homes to wounded veterans. Cost: $150 per person, $850 per four-person team. For more information, call Lauren Matas at 336-317-3856 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. operationcominghome.com
▪ Cary holds a remembrance ceremony from 11 a.m. to noon Friday, Nov. 11, at Veterans Freedom Park, 1513 N. Harrison Ave. The event honoring veterans of all wars and conflicts will feature patriotic music and speakers. Free. Bring a lawn chair. For more information, go to bit.ly/2diIN4y.
▪ Town offices in Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville will be closed Friday, Nov. 11, in observance of Veterans Day. Town facilities, including community and arts centers, and Wake County offices and public libraries also will be closed. County parks are open. All Wake County public schools are closed. Cary’s GoCary transport service will make fixed-route service runs and only Tier 1 door-to-door service Friday.
▪ Regular schedules for solid waste, yard waste and recycling collection dates will be followed in Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville. The Citizen’s Convenience Center, 313 N. Dixon Ave., Cary, is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday. All Wake County convenience centers are open during normal hours. South Wake landfill is open.
The fourth annual SAVOR Fuquay-Varina culinary competition is 2-6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12, at the Bob Barker Co., 134 N. Main St., in the Fuquay business district. The contest will showcase local restaurants, taverns and caterers. More than 20 chefs are expected to compete. Food samples will be available and participants can vote for the People’s Choice award. The event also will feature a reverse raffle, wine and local craft beer. Cost: $50. For more information and tickets, go to fuquay-varina.com.
Registration is underway for the Cary Unity Walk at 8:15 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 12. The walk will begin in downtown Cary and travel to Wake Med Soccer Park, 201 Soccer Park Drive. Afterward, a festival, featuring mile, 5K and 10K runs, entertainment and vendors, will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the park. The event will benefit area nonprofits. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2cKfDZw.
America Recycles Day
Cary celebrates America Recycles Day with a free paper shred event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 19, at the Garmon Operations Center, 400 James Jackson Ave. Three-box limit for on-site destruction and recycling. Proof of Cary residency required. For more information, go to bit.ly/1WPDhkX.
Turkey Trot 5K
Registration is underway for the annual Turkey Trot 5K Saturday, Nov. 19, at Apex Community Park, 2200 Laura Duncan Road. For more information, go to bit.ly/2ebLOTI.
Tobacco Road Marathon
Registration is underway for the Allscripts Tobacco Road Marathon and Half Marathon March 19, 2017, on the American Tobacco Trail. The event is a fundraiser for the Hope for the Warriors, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the American Red Cross, the Rails to Trails Conservancy and Wake County Parks and Recreation. For information on costs and to register, go to tobaccoroadmarathon.com.
Send Community Notes to email@example.com.