Upcoming events for Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville.
Ten Thousand Villages, 1357 Kildaire Farm Road, in the Shoppes of Kildaire, will donate 15 percent of all sales between 2-5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 27, to Family Promise of Wake County. bit.ly/2eFFu31, familypromisewake.org
The Stevens Nature Center holds activities at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve, 2616 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call 919-387-5980.
▪ Discovery Days Mini-Camps: Growing Up Wild (ages 5-7): 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Nov. 28, to Wednesday, Nov. 30. Cost: $54 residents, $68 nonresidents.
▪ Nature Nuts: Gifts for Wildlife (ages 3-5 with a caregiver): 10-11 a.m. Friday, Dec. 2. Cost: $10 residents, $13 nonresidents.
▪ Curious Creatures: Deer (ages 5-8): 1:30-3:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2. Cost: $12 residents, $16 nonresidents.
The Knights of Columbus Council 12119 and Rex Blood Services hold a community blood drive from 2 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 1, at St. Bernadette Roman Catholic Church, 1005 Wilbon Road, Fuquay-Varina. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2efTbKB.
Tree lightings, parades
▪ The Town of Fuquay-Varina’s annual Christmas tree lighting celebration is 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 1, in the municipal parking lot at the corner of East Vance and South Main streets, in the Fuquay Business District. The event will feature musical performances, a visit from Santa and more. Free. fuquay-varina.org
▪ Apex’s annual Christmas on Salem Street festivities kick off with a tree lighting ceremony at 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2. The event will feature Santa and Mrs. Claus, Christmas carols at the Depot, children’s activities and carriage and train rides. Ticket sales for carriage and train rides begin at 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 20, and are available only online at EventBrite. bit.ly/2fxMVNO
▪ The Town of Morrisville holds its annual tree lighting festivities from 7-9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2, at Indian Creek Trailhead, 101 Town Hall Drive. The event will feature musical performances, children’s activities, a visit from Santa and refreshments. Free. bit.ly/2eUJtKr
▪ The Apex Rotary Pancake Breakfast is 7-11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, at the Apex Downtown Fire House. Pictures with Santa is 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Apex Depot; cost is $25. The town’s Grand Christmas Parade is 5 p.m. on North Salem Street, beginning at Apex Peakway and ending at West Moore Street. bit.ly/2fxMVNO
▪ The Town of Cary’s Heart of the Holidays celebration is Saturday, Dec. 3. Santa’s Workshop, for children ages 10 and under, is 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Herb Young Community Center, 101 Wilkinson Ave. The annual old-fashioned Holiday Open House is 4-6 p.m. at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary. Free. The town’s official Christmas Tree Lighting is 6 p.m. outside on Town Hall Campus, 316 N. Academy St. The Cary Community Christmas Tree also will be unveiled inside Town Hall. Free. For more information: 919-319-4560, bit.ly/1GWZMCJ.
▪ The Fuquay-Varina Christmas parade is 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4, in the downtown Fuquay district, beginning at the intersection of North Main and Woodrow streets and ending at East Academy and Woodrow Street. After the parade, the Fuquay-Varina Museum Holiday Open House is 4-6 p.m. at the museum, 131 S. Fuquay Ave. fuquay-varina.org
▪ Main Street Christmas is 6-8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9, at the Holly Springs Cultural Arts Center, Town Hall and various locations downtown. The free event will feature a tree lighting ceremony, Santa and Mrs. Claus, hayrides, live music, crafts and more. bit.ly/2fsSVp2
▪ The Tree of Hope lighting is 6:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9, in Room A at the Herb Young Community Center, 101 Wilkinson Ave., Cary. Free. diamanteinc.org
▪ The Happy Holly Days Christmas Parade is 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, on Main Street throughout downtown Holly Springs, starting at Holly Springs Road and ending at Ballentine Street. Rain or shine. bit.ly/2fylAbb
▪ The Cary Jaycees Christmas Parade is 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, on Chatham Street in downtown Cary, starting at the corner of Ward and Chatham and ending at the intersection of Chatham and West St. bit.ly/2fekkv1
Calls from Santa
Applications to receive a call from Santa or Mrs. Claus are due Friday, Dec. 2, for interested Morrisville residents. Free. Calls will be available for children ages 3-8. For more information and an application, go to ci.morrisville.nc.us.
Holly Jolly gingerbread
Registration is due Friday, Dec. 2, for the Holly Jolly Gingerbread Contest. The contest is sponsored by the Coworking Station and is a fundraiser for the Holly Springs Arts Council. The public can vote on entries Dec. 9-10. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2eg36ji.
Several family Cookie Houses programs are scheduled in December at area regional libraries. Free. Four workshops are scheduled Saturday, Dec. 3, at Eva Perry Regional Library, 2100 Shepherd’s Vineyard Drive, Apex. Registration requested. To register and for more information on times available, go to bit.ly/28JmtKu or call 919-387-2100.
In Cary, four workshops are scheduled Saturday, Dec. 10, at West Regional Library, 4000 Louis Stephens Drive. Registration requested. To register and for more information on times available, go to bit.ly/1TGAywa or call 919-463-8500.
Gingerbread house contest
The sixth annual Gingerbread House Competition is 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, at participating downtown Cary businesses. Winning houses will be on display throughout December at the Cary Arts Center, 101 Dry Ave. Honorable mention entries will be on display Dec. 6-16 at The Cary Theater, 122 E. Chatham St. 919-319-4560, bit.ly/1GWZMCJ
The Police and Firefighter Basketball Battle is 3-7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, at Holly Springs High School, 5329 Cass Holt Road. The event is a fundraiser for the school’s girls basketball team. Cost: $5. bit.ly/2faugHD
The annual Apex Historical Holiday Home Tour is 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4. Tickets are $10 per person and are available at the Apex Chamber of Commerce or the Rusty Bucket. bit.ly/2fxMVNO
The Garden Hut, 1004 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, is holding a food drive for the Fuquay-Varina Food Pantry and Ladies’ Night Out from 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 6. Registration required: 919-552-0590, nelsasgardenhut.com. The shop also is a drop-off site throughout the holidays for the food pantry.
Letters to Santa
Drop off letters to Santa through Friday, Dec. 9, at the special Santa Mailbox at Cary Town Hall, 316 N. Academy St. Include the child’s name and address on each letter in order to receive a response from Santa. For more information: 919-319-4560, bit.ly/1GWZMCJ.
The Mistletoe Madness Holiday Market is noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Ballentine-Spence House, 109 E. Spring St., downtown Fuquay-Varina. bit.ly/2eZxtqB
Ride with Santa
The Wagon Ride with Santa program is 3-4:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, at Harris Lake County Park, 2112 County Park Drive, New Hill. Cost: $2 per person. Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Advance registration required. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/1YF8gC1. 919-387-4342, bit.ly/213kQMG
Harris Lake Park
Help park staff with projects at Citizen Science from 3-5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15, at Harris Lake County Park, 2112 County Park Drive, New Hill. Free. Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Advance registration required. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/1YF8gC1. 919-387-4342, bit.ly/213kQMG
‘White Christmas’ sing-a-long
The Cary theater, 122 E. Chatham St., holds a “White Christmas” sing-a-long Dec. 16-18. Cost: $10 per show. For more information and showtimes, go to thecarytheater.com. 919-462-2055
Suggly Sweater 5k
Coworking Station, 104 W. Ballentine St., Holly Springs, sponsors the third annual Suggly Sweater 5K and Fun Run at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 17, at Sugg Farm at Bass Lake, 2401 Grigsby Ave., Holly Springs. The “ugly sweater” event is a fundraiser for Meg’s Smile Foundation. For more information and to register, go to sugglysweater5k.com or megsmile.org.
The 22nd annual Cary Kwanzaa Celebration is 11 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 29, at the Cary Arts Center, 101 Dry Ave. This year’s theme is “It’s a New Dawn, It’s a New Day.” The event will feature a performance by the Kuumba Dance Co., a vendor market, children’s activities and more. 919-460-4969, bit.ly/2fS1RHc
Tobacco Road Marathon
Registration is underway for the Allscripts Tobacco Road Marathon and Half Marathon March 19, 2017, on the American Tobacco Trail. The event is a fundraiser for the Hope for the Warriors, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the American Red Cross, the Rails to Trails Conservancy and Wake County Parks and Recreation. For information on cost and to register, go to tobaccoroadmarathon.com.
Send Community Notes to email@example.com.