Upcoming events for Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville.
The Stevens Nature Center holds activities at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve, 2616 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call 919-387-5980.
▪ Winter Wildlife Wonderland (ages 6-10): 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4. Cost: $26 residents, $34 nonresidents.
▪ Adult Nature Program: Swift Creek Greenway Ramble (ages 16 and older): 2-3:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4. Cost: $6 residents, $8 nonresidents.
▪ Discovery Days Mini-Camps: Fantastic Forest (ages 5-7): 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 5-7. Cost: $54 residents, $68 nonresidents.
▪ Wee Walkers: Warm and Fuzzy (ages 1 and up with a caregiver): 10-11 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 7, and Thursday, Dec. 8. Cost per session: $8 residents, $10 nonresidents.
▪ Silver Naturalists: Umstead Park Winter Adventure (ages 55 and up): 10-11:30 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 8. Cost: $5 residents, $7 nonresidents.
▪ Winter Wildlife Wonderland (ages 6-10): 1-5 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10. Cost: $26 residents, $34 nonresidents.
▪ Tales and Trails: Stories Around the Campfire (all ages with a caregiver): 4:30-6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10. Cost: $20 residents, $28 nonresidents.
The Fuquay-Varina Fire Department is collecting non-perishable food items through Dec. 12 for the Fuquay-Varina Emergency Food Bank. Donations can be dropped off at any fire station or Town Hall. fuquay-varina.org
Harris Lake Park
Help park staff with projects at Citizen Science from 3-5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15, at Harris Lake County Park, 2112 County Park Drive, New Hill. Free. Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Advance registration required. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/1YF8gC1. 919-387-4342, bit.ly/213kQMG
Winter farmers markets
▪ The Apex Farmers Market’s monthly Winter Market is 9-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 17, inside the Halle Cultural Arts Center, 237 N. Salem St., Apex. Upcoming market dates are Jan. 7, Feb. 11 and March 25. apexfarmersmarket.com, 919-249-1120, thehalle.org
▪ The Holly Springs Farmers Market’s monthly Winter Market is 9:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, Dec. 17, at the Holly Springs Cultural Center, 300 W. Ballentine St. Upcoming market dates are Jan. 21, Feb. 18, March 18 and April 15. bit.ly/2efeQm7
Tobacco Road Marathon
Registration is underway for the Allscripts Tobacco Road Marathon and Half Marathon March 19, 2017, on the American Tobacco Trail. The event is a fundraiser for the Hope for the Warriors, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the American Red Cross, the Rails to Trails Conservancy and Wake County Parks and Recreation. For information on cost and to register, go to tobaccoroadmarathon.com.
Send Community Notes to firstname.lastname@example.org.