Food truck Tuesday
Big C Waffles food truck will be parked at Cary Co-Working, 145 W. Chatham St. A different food truck will be parked every Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. through Oct. 27. See Downtown Cary Food & Flea’s Facebook page for a list of trucks.
Healthy Aging Health Fair
Never miss a local story.
Waltonwood Cary Parkway’s inaugural Healthy Aging Health Fair with a Zumba class, giveaways and cooking demonstrations is noon to 3 p.m. at 750 SE Cary Parkway.
The Growers Market of Fuquay-Varina is open from 3-6 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays at the Fuquay-Varina Chamber of Commerce, 121 N. Main St., Fuquay-Varina. growers-market.org.
The Holly Springs Community Band rehearses at 7 p.m. Wednesdays at the Holly Springs Cultural Center, 300 W. Ballentine St. hollyspringsband.net.
Free dental clinic
Dr. Ashley Mann’s dental practice at 315 E. Chatham St., Suite 100, Cary, will participate in Freedom Day USA on Tuesday by giving free dental examinations, dental cleanings, diagnostic X-rays and restorative services for veterans of the United States military, those on active duty and their immediate family members. Appointments are recommended: 919-462-9338. freedomdayusa.org, drashleymann.com.
Live at Lunch
The free Live at Lunch concert series is from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Fidelity Bank Plaza at 100 W. Chatham St., Cary. Concerts will be every Thursday through Oct. 9. townofcary.org.
Minute to Win It
A Minute to Win It game for sixth through 10th grade students is at 7 p.m. at Eva Perry Regional Library, 2100 Shepherd’s Vineyard Drive, Apex. Registration is required. firstname.lastname@example.org.
New volunteer orientation for The Center for Volunteer Caregiving is 9-11 a.m. at 1150 SE Maynard Road, suite 210, Cary. There is a $10 administrative fee to cover the cost of background screening. 919-460-0567, email@example.com, volunteercaregiving.org.
Sept. 11 service project
Cary is looking for volunteers for two service projects on Friday and Saturday. Volunteers will make raised vegetable gardens at local fire stations. The first project is 4-6 p.m. Friday at Fire Station #5, 2101 High House Road. The second is 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at Fire Station #4, 1401 Old Apex Road.
Volunteers must be at least 15 years old or work with an adult. Supplies will be provided. Register by Wednesday, Sept. 9, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
A reception for Artistic Expressions Gallery artists’ work celebrating the autumn season is 6-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 11, at 118 Raleigh St., Fuquay-Varina. artisticexpressionsfv.com.
Parekh Family Foundation fundraiser
A fundraising gala with a silent auction, dinner and entertainment by comedians Anish Shah and Kamran Hamid is at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 11, at One Eleven Place, 111 Realtors Way, Cary. Tickets cost $125. parekhfamilyfoundation.org.
‘Break a Leg!’
The play “Break a Leg!” is at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Holly Springs Cultural Center, 300 W. Ballentine St. Tickets cost $5 ($3 for students). 919-567-4000.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness offers a free, 12-session Family-to-Family class for friends and family members of adults with mental illnesses. The class will meet Saturday mornings in Cary beginning on Sept. 12. Contact Andrea Chase for registration and details: 919-848-8913, NAMIWakeF2F@gmail.com, nami-wake.org.
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation fundraiser
Chick-fil-A of Apex will host a 5k to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation at 8 a.m., starting in the parking lot of Home Depot, 1000 Vision Drive, Apex. The race is planned to end around 10:30 a.m.
Registration for the 5k is $25 and registration for the one-mile fun run is $15. Prices increase by $5 the day of the race. cfaraceseries.com/races/171.
▪ The Cary Downtown Farmers Market is open 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 135 W. Chatham St. caryfarmersmarket.com.
▪ The Western Wake Farmers’ Market is open 8 a.m. to noon at 101 Gathering Park Circle, Cary, and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the UNC Wellness Center, 350 Stonecroft Lane, Cary. wwfm.ag.
▪ The Apex Farmers Market is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 220 N. Salem St., Apex. apexfarmersmarket.com.
▪ The Holly Springs Farmers Market is open 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 128 S. Main St., Holly Springs. 919-567-4040, hollyspringsnc.us.
▪ The Growers Market of Fuquay-Varina is open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Chamber of Commerce parking lot, 121 N. Main St. growers-market.org.
▪ The Waverly Place Farmers Market is open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays at Waverly Place at the intersection of Tryon and Kildaire Farm Roads, Cary. waverlyfm.com.
A free yoga session led by Judy Liu is from 9:30-10 a.m. at Bond Park, 801 High House Road, Cary. strenuagoal.com.
Veterans Fall Festival
The Veterans Fall Festival of live music, arts and crafts, food trucks and a silent auction will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Ladies Auxiliary VFW Post 7383, 522 Reedy Creek Road, Cary. 919-467-1188, facebook.com/VeteransVendorFair.
The Parrot Heads of North Carolina MargaRALEIGHville fundraiser for Military Missions in Action is 5-10 p.m. at Rally Point Sports Grill, 1837 N. Harrison Ave., Cary. There will be a silent auction and raffles. Entertainment will be provided by the Chris Sacks Band and Dave McKenney. There will be food and drink specials. Admission is free.
Fuquay-Varina Movies in the Park
The Town of Fuquay-Varina will screen “Penguins of Madagascar” as part of the Movies in the Park series at Falcon Park, 105 Falcon Drive. Movies will be screened at dusk every Saturday night in September at Falcon Park. Bring blankets and chairs.
Send calendar items two weeks in advance to email@example.com.
▪ Eva Perry Regional Library hosts stories for babies at 9:30 a.m. Mondays and 11:30 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays at 2100 Shepherd’s Vineyard Drive, Apex. Stories for toddlers start at 10:30 a.m. Mondays; 10 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays; and 10:30 a.m. Fridays. Stories for preschoolers are at 2:30 p.m. Mondays and 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Stories for families begin at 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays. 919-387-2100.
▪ Barnes & Noble hosts story time for toddlers at 10 a.m. Tuesdays and for preschoolers at 10 a.m. Wednesdays at 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
▪ The West Regional Library’s story time for babies is at 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Fridays through Nov. 24 at 4000 Louis Stephens Drive, Cary. 919-463-8500.
Labor Day Schedules
Here are schedule changes for Monday, Sept. 7.
▪ C-Tran and GoTriangle, formerly known as Triangle Transit: Buses will not operate.
▪ Garbage and recycling: Apex and Holly Springs will be delayed by one day throughout the week. Cary, Fuquay-Varina and Morrisville will be collected as usual.
▪ Town offices: Closed in Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville.