Here are upcoming events for Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville.
Cary website survey
The town of Cary is looking for input on its website for a redesign. The survey is online at bit.ly/TOCwebsurvey.
The Stevens Nature Center hosts activities for kids at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve, 2616 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Registration costs $12 for Cary residents and $16 for non-residents unless another price is given. 919-387-5980.
Here’s the schedule:
▪ Eco-Express: Radical Reptiles (ages 8-12): 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday, Sept. 9.
▪ Curious Creatures: Crayfish (ages 5-8): 10 a.m. to noon Thursday, Sept. 10.
▪ Nature Nuts: Caterpillars (ages 3-5 with a parent): 10-11 a.m. Friday, Sept. 11, or 10-11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 12. $10 for Cary residents, $13 for non-residents.
▪ Night Out in Nature Campfire Program (ages 8-12): 6-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 11. $18 for Cary residents, $23 for non-residents.
▪ Family Yoga in Nature (ages 2 and older with parents): 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12. $16 per family for Cary residents, $20 for non-residents.
▪ Curiosity Club: Gardening for Kids (ages 5-8): 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12.
▪ Eco-Explorers: Exploration: Reptiles (ages 7-10): 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 13.
▪ Discovery Days Mini-Camps: Wetland Wanderings (ages 8-12): 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 15, through Thursday, Sept. 17. $54 for Cary residents, $68 for non-residents.
▪ Wetland Wanderings (ages 8-12): 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 15, through Thursday, Sept. 17. $54 for Cary residents, $68 for non-residents.
▪ Creative by Nature: Garden Art (ages 7-10): 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 19.
Citizen Diplomacy Dinner
The Sister Cities Association of Cary’s seventh annual Citizen Diplomacy Dinner is at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 10, at the Page-Walker Arts & History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary. Tickets cost $15. sistercitiesofcary.org.
Cary Scavenger Hunt
The Cary Scavenger Hunt starts at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, at the Page-Walker Arts & History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary.
Registration costs $50 for a family or adult team of up to four people. Registration for corporate teams costs $100 for one team, $175 for two teams and $225 for three teams. bit.ly/1KyyX8v.
Fall Garden Tour
The Fuquay-Varina Garden Club’s Fall Garden Tour is from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, and 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 13. A luncheon is on Saturday. A closing reception is Sunday at The Garden Hut.
The Beericana festival of craft beer and music is 2-6 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, at Sugg Farm Park, 2401 Grigsby Ave., Holly Springs. The festival has grown from last year’s inaugural event to include up to 70 breweries, food trucks and Americana, roots, folk and rock bands.
VIP tickets for entry at noon cost $75. General admission tickets cost $45 and designated driver tickets cost $15. beericana.com.
The Mason Jar Tavern Golf Tournament
The Mason Jar Tavern Golf Tournament starts with a cookout and silent auction from 5-8 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 13, at The Mason Jar Tavern, 114 Grand Hill Place, Holly Springs. Admission is $10.
The golf tournament starts at 9 a.m. Monday, Sept. 14, at 12 Oaks, 2008 Green Oaks Parkway, Holly Springs. Registration is $100. The tournament will raise money for the Holly Springs Food Cupboard. themasonjartavern.com.
Dragon Boat Festival
The second annual Dragon Boat Festival with dragon boat competitions, Asian foods, cultural exhibits and performances is from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 19, at Koka Booth Amphitheatre, 8003 Regency Parkway, Cary. Admission is free. dragonboatnc.wix.com/festival.
Kids Together Walk, Run and Roll for Inclusiveness
The annual Kids Together Walk, Run and Roll for Inclusiveness starts with games and raffles at 10 a.m. and the 1.4-mile walk, which is open to wheelchair users and parents with strollers, starts at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 19, at Kids Together Playground, Marla Dorrel Park, 111 Thurston Drive, Cary.
Admission costs $15 per family or $5 per individual. bit.ly/1LRmnSn.
Bobbie Asad will launch her new children’s book, “Pick Me,” at 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 19, at the Mad Hatter, 107 S. Main St., Fuquay-Varina.
Out of the Darkness Community Walk
Both of these events sponsored by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention raise money for local and national suicide prevention programs.
▪ The first Triangle Area Out of the Darkness Community Walk is Sunday, Sept. 20, at Koka Booth Amphitheatre, 8003 Regency Parkway, Cary. Registration and check-in begin at 10 a.m. The walk is at 11 a.m. There is registration fee; donations and fundraising encouraged but not required. Register in advance at bit.ly/1LUIGGQ.
▪ The third annual Fuquay-Varina Out of the Darkness Community Walk is 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 27, at South Park and Jeff Wells Environmental Greenway. The walk raises money for local and national suicide prevention programs. bit.ly/1JBxgAR.
Fiesta de la Paz 2015
The Costa Rican Association of North Carolina’s Fiesta de la Paz 2015 is 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 20, at Lake Wheeler Park, 6404 Lake Wheeler Road, Raleigh. The event features live music, Costa Rican food and baked goods, a soccer tournament for adults, dancing, a puppet show and bouncehouses in a children’s area. www.ticosnc.net
The Morrisville Fire Rescue Department offers free CPR and automatic external defibrillator certification classes for Morrisville residents from 7-10 p.m. the fourth Thursday of each month at Morrisville Fire/Rescue Station #1, 200 Town Hall Drive.
For details or to sign up, email your name, address, phone number and class date to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BBQ, Blues and Brews
The Fuquay-Varina Downtown Association’s BBQ, Blues and Brews fundraiser is 3-8 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, on Broad Street in the Varina district. There will be a barbecue cookoff with prizes. Admission is free, but tickets are sold for tastings. Shuttles are available. A live auction for three of the Bengal Tigers on Parade is at 5 p.m. in the town parking lot. Half of the proceeds go to the downtown association with the other half going to a charity. fuquay-varinadowntown.com.
The Heart of Cary Association’s municipal Downtown Debates is 7-9 p.m. Monday, Sept. 28, at The Cary, 122 E. Chatham St. Debate questions will be focused on downtown Cary.
Alzheimers North Carolina walk
A walk to benefit Alzheimers North Carolina is Saturday, Oct. 3, at Koka Booth Amphitheatre, 8003 Regency Parkway, Cary. Registration and the kids’ corner open at 8:30 a.m., opening ceremonies are at 10 a.m. and the walk is at 10:20 a.m. alznc.org.
The Triangle Oktoberfest will be from noon to 10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 3, and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 4, at Koka Booth Amphitheatre, 8003 Regency Parkway, Cary.
Tickets for ages 16 and older cost $20 for Saturday, $15 for Sunday and $30 for both days. Tickets for either day are $5 for ages 6 to 15 and free for 5 and younger. triangleoctoberfest.org.
Chatham Street Chowdown
The Chatham Street Chowdown food truck rally is noon to 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 4, in downtown Cary.
Live Fearless 5k
Blue Cross and Blue Shield’s Live Fearless 5K, part of the SAS Championship, starts at 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 10, at Prestonwood Country Club, 300 Prestonwood Parkway, Cary.
Registration is $30 for adults, $20 for youth and $70 for a family four-pack, with a $5 discount for those who register by Sunday, Oct. 4. saschampionship.com.
Torch Run Golf Tournament
The annual Torch Run Golf Tournament, held by the Apex Police Department, is at 9 a.m. Monday, Oct. 26, at Bentwinds Golf & Country Club, 6536 Dornoch Place, Fuquay-Varina. Registration costs $280 per team. All proceeds will be donated to Special Olympics North Carolina. bit.ly/1EhIfDM.
Tobacco Road Marathon and Half-Marathon registration
Registration is open for the annual Allscripts Tobacco Road Marathon and the GNC Half Marathon to be held Sunday, March 13, along the American Tobacco Trail, starting in Cary. Registration fees are $90 for the marathon and $80 for the half marathon. Registration will increase incrementally until the run. All proceeds go to JDRF, the Wounded Warrior Project, the American Red Cross and the Rails to Trails Conservancy as well as Wake County Parks and Recreation. tobaccoroadmarathon.com.
Send Community Notes to email@example.com.