The Holly Springs Community Band rehearses at 7 p.m. Wednesdays at the Holly Springs Cultural Center, 300 W. Ballentine St. hollyspringsband.net.
Thrift 2 Gift’s story time for families is 10:30-11 a.m. Thursdays at 1402 E. Williams St., Apex.
New Year’s Day closings
Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville town offices will be closed Friday.
Apex’s garbage and recycling collection for Friday customers will be picked up on Saturday. In Cary, garbage, recycling and yard waste for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday customers will be picked up one day earlier than usual. Trash and recycling for Holly Springs’ Friday customers will be collected on Saturday. Garbage will be collected as usual in Fuquay-Varina. In Morrisville, the Friday route will be collected on Saturday.
‘Two Minds, One Artist’
Constance Pappalardo’s exhibition “Two Minds, One Artist” begins on Friday at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, 100 Woodland Pond Drive, Cary.
Cary’s free First Walk for all ages is 10-11 a.m. at Annie Jones Greenway, 1414 Tarbert Drive, Cary. Registration is required. bit.ly/1SZwNiv.
Movies at The Cary
The Cary theater shows movies for $5 each at 122 E. Chatham St. All movies are $5 each. thecarytheater.com.
▪ “He Named Me Malala” at 2 p.m. Friday.
▪ “Labyrinth of Lies” is at 7 p.m. Friday and at 9:30 p.m. Saturday.
▪ “The Look of Silence” at 9:30 p.m. Friday and 7 p.m. Saturday.
▪ The Cary Downtown Farmers Market is open 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 135 W. Chatham St. caryfarmersmarket.com.
▪ The Western Wake Farmers’ Market is open 9:30 a.m. to noon at 101 Gathering Park Circle, Cary. wwfm.ag.
Run to Change the World
The Second Annual Run to Change the World’s mile run starts at 9 a.m. and the 5K starts at 9:30 a.m. at Bond Park, 801 High House Road, Cary.
The run will raise money for Men of Armor. To register for $25 for the 5K and $10 for the mile, go to bit.ly/1Qm5D83. The 5K’s fee increases to $30 for participants who register the day of the race.
An opening reception for oil paintings by Karen Meredith and wood art by Rich Croteau is from 1-4 p.m. at the Cary Gallery of Artists, 200 S. Academy St., suite 120.
Bluegrass Jam Sessions
The Holly Springs Cultural Center’s Bluegrass Jam Sessions for all ages and skill levels are 2-4 p.m. Saturdays at 300 W. Ballentine St. Bring an instrument and music to share or play along.
Send calendar items two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Eva Perry Regional Library hosts stories for babies at 9:30 a.m. Mondays and 11:30 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays at 2100 Shepherd’s Vineyard Drive, Apex. Stories for toddlers start at 10:30 a.m. Mondays; 10 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays; and 10:30 a.m. Fridays. Stories for preschoolers are at 2:30 p.m. Mondays and 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Stories for families begin at 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays. 919-387-2100.
▪ Barnes & Noble hosts story time for toddlers at 10 a.m. Tuesdays and for preschoolers at 10 a.m. Wednesdays at 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
▪ The West Regional Library’s story time for babies is at 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Fridays through Nov. 24 at 4000 Louis Stephens Drive, Cary. 919-463-8500.