Morrisville student earns award
Ashwin Inala, a student at Green Hope High School, was one of 100 winners of the Emperor Science Award from Genentech.
Students who earn the award will receive a $1,500 stipend to work with scientists on a cancer research project, receive a Google Chrome Notebook and participate in a mentoring program through high school.
Holly Springs students sing
Six choral students from Holly Springs High School performed in January in the 9-10 All-Carolina Select Choir at Wingate University. The students are Cameryn Bost, Francesca Doresty, Ben Edwards, Ethan Edwards, Connor Fahs and Kyle Rodriguez.
Cary Christian School students volunteer
Students of Mrs. Bloodworth’s second-grade class at Cary Christian School participated in HIS Radio’s Blanket Bundles project. The students filled new blankets with 20 canned or nonperishable food items for the Raleigh Rescue Mission.
Cary student participates in World Food Prize Global Youth Institute
Sydney Edmisten of Cary High School was chosen to attend the World Food Prize Global Youth Institute in Iowa during the Borlaug Dialogue International Symposium. The symposium was held to discuss worldwide hunger and food security issues.
Honor roll and dean’s lists
▪ From Apex: Lindsey Johnson was named to the winter dean’s list at Saginaw Valley State University. Walter Metcalfe was named to the Dean’s List at The Citadel. Alexander Mohr and Alex Moushegian were named to the spring Dean’s List of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Theodore Schuman was named to the spring Dean’s List at Robert Morris University. Yaoguang Zhong was named to the Dean’s List at Northern Illinois University.
▪ From Cary: Aida N. Al-Akhdar of Cary was selected to join the National Society of High School Scholars. Timothy Ballesteros, Colleen Murphy, Amika Medha Singh and Chase Wilson were named to the Dean’s List at Northeastern University. Molly Chase was named to the spring Dean’s List of Mary Baldwin College. Nicholas Dodson was named to the spring honor roll of the University of Dallas. Ryan Fitzgerald was named to the spring Dean’s List of Curry College. Sean Flynn was named to the Dean’s List at the University of Rhode Island. Katherine Hornigold was named to the Dean’s List at Babson College. Lindsey Hylwa and Michelle Ko were named to the spring Dean’s List of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Beth Anne King was included in the Dean’s List at Clarkson University. Andrew Lombana was named to the summer Dean’s List at Belmont University. Ashwin Monian was named to the spring Dean’s List at the University of Delaware. Sreekrishna Pokuri was named to the Dean’s List of Union College.
▪ From Holly Springs: Julia Pogue was initiated into The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi at College of Charleston.
▪ From Morrisville: Kenneth Gillespie and Sarah Wartofsky were named to the spring Dean’s List of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Local high school seniors earned apprenticeships through the N.C. Triangle Apprenticeship Program. They began with a ceremony at Wake Tech’s Advance Manufacturing Center in Raleigh in August.
The students are Zack Eash of Southern Wake Academy, Sophie Peck of Green Hope High School and Peter Meehan and Krista Schultz of Holly Springs High School. Next year, they will continue work as apprentices and enroll in Wake Tech’s Mechanical Engineering program.
▪ Elizabeth Schnurman, a graduate of Panther Creek High School, earned the Charles Wagner Memorial Scholarship of the Charles Wagner American Legion Post 421 in Hicksville, N.Y.
▪ Jenny Wang of Cary earned a $10,000 Davidson Fellows Scholarship from the Davidson Institute of Talent Development.
Teacher development programs
▪ Tracey Wooten of Panther Creek High School attended a program at the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching. The center provides professional development program for local teachers.
▪ Christine Carlson of Lincoln Heights Elementary School participated in a professional development program at the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching.
Student wins poster contest
Nishanth Sai Gottipati, a student at Triangle Math and Science Academy, won first place in the international 2015 Math Kangaroo Poster Contest.
Cary student named Scholar-Athlete
Caroline Mitchell, a student of San Diego State University and a member of the school’s swimming team, was named a 2014-15 Mountain West Scholar-Athlete. Students who earn this honor must have finished two academic terms at the school, maintain a 3.5 GPA and participate in varsity competition in a Mountain West-sponsored sport.
Has your student done something noteworthy? Has your school or club won an award? Send School Notes and photos to email@example.com.