Upcoming playoff schedule:
• Green Hope’s doubles team of Louis Rico and Matt Whitney didn’t make it to the NCHSAA tennis individual finals after all. The NCHSAA rules that players must play all of their regional matches to qualify. Even though Rico and Whitney were semifinalists to qualify for the state tournament, not finishing the second-day matches due to stomach flu kept the pair out.
• Green Hope boys tennis defeated Clayton 5-1 on Tuesday in the second round of the 4A team playoffs. The Falcons will travel to Wakefield on Tuesday.
• It was a good week for Cardinal Gibbons against Big Eight Conference foe Chapel Hill. The Crusaders beat the Tigers 15-2 in the boys lacrosse tournament final on Monday, then beat them 1-0 in girls soccer on Wednesday for a share of the league title.
• Green Hope boys golf was third in the 4A Mideast regional on Tuesday, which qualifies them for this week’s NCHSAA state championships at Carolina Trace in Sanford. Panther Creek (fourth), Athens Drive (fifth) and Holly Springs (seventh) just missed the cut. PC’s Viraj Garawal shot 75 to qualify as an individual.
• Middle Creek earned a share of the SWAC boys lacrosse title – its first in program history – when it defeated Athens Drive 14-9 on Monday. There was no reigning league champ this year because Cardinal Gibbons, which had won the league titles in 2013 and 2012, was moved to a new conference for 2014. Prior to that, Apex won conference titles in 2011 and 2010.
• Cary Academy baseball wrapped up the Triangle Independent Schools Athletic Conference title on Thursday.