• Chapel Hill police planned to charge a 21-year-old Durham man with burglary and assault with a deadly weapon in a Northside home invasion in which a shot was fired.
Never miss a local story.
Maalik Antonio Burris of 305 Snow Crest Trail was named in warrants listing first-degree burglary, assault with a deadly weapon and injury to personal property, police spokesman Sgt. Bryan Walker said.
About 12:30 a.m. last Wednesday, Walker said, police rushed to a burglary call on Cotton Street, saw a man running from the house and chased him down.
Burris had struggled with residents of the house when they discovered he was there, Walker said, and he was hurt before he got out. A shot went off, but it did not hit anyone.
Orange County EMS took Burris to UNC Hospitals, and Walker said officers would arrest him when he was released.
One of the people in the house told police he was a UNC student, and Chapel Hill police alerted campus police of the incident.
• Tyrone Keith Riggsbee Jr., 24, of 106 Forsyth Drive Apt. B was charged Friday with felony forgery, felony uttering and felony probation violation, police reported.
• Charlie Levone Brown Jr., 24, of 118 Zoia Lane, Hillsborough, was charged Thursday with felony possession of cocaine, felony possession of methamphetamine, misdemeanor possession of marijuana, two counts of misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and misdemeanor possession or consumption of alcohol in the passenger area of a vehicle, police reported.
• Gary David Propst, 54, of 110 W. Main St., Carrboro, was charged last Wednesday with three felony counts of obtaining property by false pretense and three felony counts of identity theft, police reported.
• Frederick Demetris Edwards, 28, of 144 Cherokee Road was charged Feb. 18 with felony possession of a firearm by a felon, misdemeanor assault on a government official, misdemeanor damage to personal property, misdemeanor carrying of a concealed weapon, misdemeanor indecent exposure and misdemeanor resisting arrest, police reported.
• Police reported a robbery on Ellen Place last Wednesday around 7 p.m. in which a suspect threatened to use a gun against the victim and asked for money.
• Police reported the theft of an automobile from a parking lot on the 100 block of West Franklin Street last Wednesday.
• Police reported the theft of scooters from the 100 block of West Cameron Avenue and the 200 block of Elizabeth Street Feb. 16.
• Police reported break-ins:
- to a residence on the 400 block of Yates Motor Company Alley Friday in which the home was entered through an unlocked door and cash, computers and jewelry was stolen.
- to a business on the 1700 block of North Fordham Boulevard Feb. 17 around 7 a.m. in which an ATM was pried open and $1,400 in cash taken.
- to an unlocked vehicle parked on Pine Lane Feb. 15 in which two dachhsund dogs, valued at $200 a piece, were stolen.
• James A. Surles, 46, was charged Feb. 18 with felony obtaining property by false pretense, police reported.
• Police reported a burglary on the 200 block of Broad Street Thursday in which three subjects entered through an unlocked window, took items and fled on foot.
• Police reported a break-in to a residence on the 200 block of Oleander Road Feb. 18 in which jewelry and rifles were stolen.
• James Adrian Kelley, 33, was charged last Wednesday with felony breaking and entering, felony identity theft, felony larceny from a person, misdemeanor resisting a public officer, police reported.
• Gerald Page Mcmiller, 51, was charged last Wednesday with numerous counts of felony breaking and entering and felony larceny after breaking and entering, two counts of felony larceny from a construction site and misdemeanor injury to real property, police reported.
• Brian Joshua Baker, 36, was charged last Wednesday with several counts of felony breaking and entering, felony possession of burglary tools, two counts of felony safe cracking, felony larceny after breaking and entering, three counts of misdemeanor breaking into a currency machine, misdemeanor injury to real property and misdemeanor resisting a public officer, police reported.
• Cedric Maurice Dorsey, 37, was chargedlast Wednesday with felony breaking and entering, felony possession of burglary tools and misdemeanor resisting a public officer, police reported.
• Laura Isabele Veira, 36, was charged Feb. 16 with felony obtaining property by false pretense, felony financial card theft and misdemeanor financial card fraud, police reported.
• Police reported break-ins:
- to an unlocked residence on the 3400 block of Briarwood Court in the Mebane area Feb. 18.
- to a residence on the 200 block of Willowbend Lane Feb. 17.
- to a residence on the 3000 block of Mooresfield Road Feb. 17.
- to a residence on the 1700 block of Piney Grove Church Road Feb. 17
- to a residence on the 1500 block of Cedar Pointe Drive Feb. 17.
Compiled by correspondent Carlton Koonce