Maalik Antonio Burris of 305 Snow Crest Trail was named in warrants listing first-degree burglary, assault with a deadly weapon and injury to personal property, police spokesman Sgt. Bryan Walker said.
About 12:30 a.m. last Wednesday, Walker said, police rushed to a burglary call on Cotton Street, saw a man running from the house and chased him down.
Burris had struggled with residents of the house when they discovered he was there, Walker said, and he was hurt before he got out. A shot went off, but it did not hit anyone.
Orange County EMS took Burris to UNC Hospitals, and Walker said officers would arrest him when he was released.
One of the people in the house told police he was a UNC student, and Chapel Hill police alerted campus police of the incident.
- to a residence on the 400 block of Yates Motor Company Alley Friday in which the home was entered through an unlocked door and cash, computers and jewelry was stolen.
- to a business on the 1700 block of North Fordham Boulevard Feb. 17 around 7 a.m. in which an ATM was pried open and $1,400 in cash taken.
- to an unlocked vehicle parked on Pine Lane Feb. 15 in which two dachhsund dogs, valued at $200 a piece, were stolen.
- to an unlocked residence on the 3400 block of Briarwood Court in the Mebane area Feb. 18.
- to a residence on the 200 block of Willowbend Lane Feb. 17.
- to a residence on the 3000 block of Mooresfield Road Feb. 17.
- to a residence on the 1700 block of Piney Grove Church Road Feb. 17
- to a residence on the 1500 block of Cedar Pointe Drive Feb. 17.
Compiled by correspondent Carlton Koonce