The Volunteer Center of Durham coordinates volunteer events and services across the Triangle. For more information on these events, visit www.HandsOnTriangle.org or call 919-613-4515.
• Help Paw4Ever raised money during the Belk Chairty Day Sale from 6 to 10 a.m. Saturday, May 6. Patrons who buy $5 tickets get a $5 discount at Belk.
Never miss a local story.
• Help EarthShare NC with marketing and tracking participating groups to celebrate North Carolina’s natural environment.
• Lean about Guatemalan culture and health issues with Curamericas Global on a trip to Huehuetenango June 8-17.
• Help students with homework in after-school tutoring at the Salvation Army from 4 to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
• Are you knowledgeable about wildlife? Volunteers are needed to answer WildNet phone lines on weekends. WildNet connects wildlife to rehabilitators and can be forwarded to your personal line.
• The Durham Literacy Center’s Teen Career Academy provides one-on-one tutoring with young adults who are pursuing their GED. Become and instructor Monday through Thursday from 9 to 11:30 a.m.
• Do you have some free time on Wednesday nights? Do you speak some Spanish? Converse with Latino immigrants on an informal basis at Pilgrim UCC, 3011 Academy Road, Durham.
• Do you like doing administrative work? Help the Welcome Baby Resource Center in the office on Wednesday mornings.
• Do you have experience writing grants? Help with grant research and proposal writing for the Congo Initiative remotely from your home.
• Make a difference in the lives of seniors by calling them on a weekly or daily basis at the Durham Center for Senior Life.
• Waste Reduction Partners needs volunteers to do waste reduction and water and energy assessments in central and eastern N.C.
• Help out at the warehouse for the Durham Economic Resource Center. Answer the phone, enter data, and restock shelves.
• Work with experienced naturalists and educators to work with a small group of children during explorations, games, and other hands-on outdoor activities at Creekside or Forest View Elementary, or at Githens Middle School.
• Through creative activities and guided homework sessions, help a child develop the skills they need to succeed. Provide one-on-one mentoring or tutor a small group of students through your local YMCA.
• The Veggie Van works to deliver boxes of fresh, locally grown veggies to people who have limited access to these products. Volunteers are needed for the van sites at Durham Tech and the DC Health Dept.
• Do you enjoy working with high schoolers? Junior Leadership Durham needs a program coordinator.
• Help the YMCA during the Health Kids Day event April 26.
• Be a camp counselor at the ArtsCenter during their ArtsCamp this summer. Application deadline is May 2.
• Orange County Disability Council needs volunteers to help adults who have visual impairments with computer education in a classroom setting from 1 to 5 p.m. April 22 through May 15, at 2551 Homestead Road.
• Do you have a caring heart for families of children with cancer? Volunteer in the Ronald McDonald Family Room on the 7th floor of the NC Children’s Hospital where families can relax and "get away" while still being close to their child.
• Help TABLE with its hunger relief programs. Shifts are Monday and Tuesday nights from 6 to 8 p.m. and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon and 2:20 to 4:20 p.m.
• Baseball coaches are needed for children ages 6-8, 9-10, and 11-12 with the Carrboro Recreation and Parks Department.
• Carolina Villages needs kind-hearted occasional volunteers to help older adults in Chapel Hill and Carrboro remain in their own homes.
• UNC hospitals needs volunteers to make infant gowns and cover boxes with fabric.
• Want to be a part of the theatre program at The ArtsCenter? The Theatre Team is made up of volunteers interested in all aspects of theatre – from helping build sets, to doing tech work, to ushering and everything in between.
• Would you like to help get the word out about the Affordable Care Act? Volunteers are needed to help with outreach to consumers, make phone calls and enter data, canvassing and staffing table at festivals.