New Hope Audubon Society holds a bird walk beginning at 8 a.m. in front of Oak Creek Village Shopping Center, 4600 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham. Birders of all skill levels may attend. Bring snacks and water; wear long pants and walking shoes. Canceled if heavy rain. For more information, email Jim Capel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Never miss a local story.
The Rags to Riches Theatre performs “The Gingerbread Boy’ from 10:30-11:30 a.m. at Carrboro Century Center, 100 N. Greensboro St. Cost: $3 per person. For more information, call 919-918-7364.
A fast-paced hike along the Riverwalk and other riverside trails to historic destinations in Hillsborough is 4-5 p.m. Free; registration required. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2fMDMxo.
Speakers from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services and the Orange County Affordable Housing Advisory Board discuss housing and funding options at the next meeting of the Parents of Adult Children with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities group. The meeting is 6:30 p.m. in Meeting Room B at Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive. Free and open to the public. For more information, contact Carol Conway at email@example.com.
Diabetes support group
The Diabetes Education and Support Group meets from 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays in the Gathering Room at University Place, 201 S. Estes Drive, Chapel Hill. Free. Open to anyone who either has diabetes or has a friend or family member with the disease. For more information, email Diabetes.Group@yahoo.com.
A blood drive for the American Red Cross is 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Cedar Ridge High School, 1125 New Grady Brown School Road, Hillsborough. 800-733-2767, redcrossblood.org
Representatives from SOHO Press discuss books and book gift ideas at 6:30 p.m. at McIntyre’s Books, 220 Market St., Fearrington Village. SOHO is leading publisher of mysteries. 919-542-3030, bit.ly/29E99rw
Family Movie Matinee
The film “Finding Dory,” rated PG, screens at 4 p.m. in Meeting Room B at Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive. Free. bit.ly/2aCfkNU
The monthly 2nd Friday Art Walk is 6-9 p.m. at various locations in Carrboro and Chapel Hill. Venues feature live music, food, activities, hands-on art demonstrations and more. For more information and a list of this month’s featured events, go to 2ndfridayartwalk.com.
Chapel Hill writer Jean Bolduc reads from and signs her book, “African Americans of Durham & Orange Counties: An Oral History,” at 7 p.m. at The Regulator Bookshop, 720 Ninth St., Durham. For more information: 919-286-2700, regulatorbookshop.com.
Chatham Studio Tour
The 24th annual Chatham Artists Guild Studio Tour is 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at various locations. The tour, which features 53 artists, continues from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 11. For more information, a list of artists and a map, go to chathamartistsguild.org.
Friends of the Seymour Center and the Bob Dylan Regulars hold the Bob Dylan Nobel Prize Award Ceremony Fundraiser from 2-4 p.m. at the Seymour Center, 2551 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill. Tickets: $10 cash or checks at the door.
Author and librarian Mark Riddle reads from his first book, “Margarash,” from 3-4 p.m. in Meeting Room A at Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive.
Class of 1966
The Lincoln High School Class of 1966 is having its Tiger Toy Christmas Jam from 7-10 p.m. in the gym at the school, 1709 High School Road, Chapel Hill. Admission: $10 plus a toy or senior gift valuing $5 or more.
Daytime parking is free every Saturday in December at town-owned parking lots and metered parking in downtown Chapel Hill. After 5 p.m., normal rates will be charged at Wallace Deck and the Rosemary/Columbia Lot. All public parking is free Saturday, Dec. 24, and Saturday, Dec. 31. Public parking is free year-round on Sundays. bit.ly/2fDfeKF
▪ The Carrboro Farmers’ Market is open 9 a.m. to noon in the Carrboro Town Commons beside Town Hall, 301 W. Main St. The market will remain open during renovations to the Town Commons, which are scheduled to begin in December. carrborofarmersmarket.com
▪ The Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market is open 9 a.m. to noon outside University Place, 201 S. Estes Drive. thechapelhillfarmersmarket.com
▪ The Hillsborough Farmers’ Market is open 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Hillsborough campus of UNC Hospitals, 430 Waterstone Drive. hillsboroughfarmersmarket.org
Please send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find a list of support groups with the Daybook calendar under the community tab at chapelhillnews.com.
▪ Cornucopia House Cancer Support Center offers a free Restorative Yoga class for anyone affected by cancer from 9:30-11 a.m. Sundays at Blue Point Yoga Studio, 2816 Erwin Road, Durham. 919-401-9333.
▪ Meet to send books to people in prison 1-4 p.m. Sundays at 2811 Hillsborough Road, Durham. prisonbooks.info.
▪ Overeaters Anonymous meets 4-5 p.m. Sundays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road. 919-360-3789.
▪ Breastfeeding Cafe, an informal drop-in for breastfeeding moms, is 10-11 a.m. Mondays at the Red Hen, University Mall, 201 S. Estes Drive.
▪ A yoga class by the UNC Comprehensive Cancer Support Program for people with cancer, caregivers and cancer survivors is 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Mondays at Carolina Pointe II, 6011 Farrington Road. Each class costs $5. unclineberger.org.
▪ Women 55 and older walk trails in Meadowmont at 3:30 p.m. Mondays. 919-967-4054, email@example.com.
▪ Anorexia Bulimia Anonymous, a 12-step program for people with eating disorders, meets 7-8 p.m. Mondays in room 17 at Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive, Chapel Hill. triangleaba.wix.com/meeting.
▪ Overeaters Anonymous meets from 7-8 p.m. Mondays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road: 919-259-2843. Meetings are also held from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at Evergreen United Methodist Church, U.S. 15-501: 919-933-1355. Another group meets 12:30-1:30 p.m. Thursdays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road. This group meets in the white building beside the main church building, directly across from Looking Glass Cafe.
▪ Gamblers Anonymous meets at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Amity United Methodist Church, 825 Estes Drive. Call Tom at 919-460-9039.
▪ A 12-step program for relatives and friends of addicts meets 8-9 p.m. Mondays at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3638 Chapel Hill Road, Durham. 919-596-2915, nar-anon.org.
▪ Cornucopia House Cancer Support Center offers a free Restorative Yoga class for anyone affected by cancer from 10-11:30 a.m. Tuesdays at St. Thomas More Catholic Church, 940 Carmichael St., Chapel Hill. 919-401-9333.
▪ A needlework group that creates knitted and crocheted items for charities meets 1-2:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, in Meeting Room A or C. firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Residents 50 and up play bingo from 2-3:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Carrboro Century Center, 100 N. Greensboro St., Carrboro. 919-918-7364.
▪ A Meditation 101 class introduces beginners to meditation from 7-8:15 p.m. every Tuesday at Kosala Buddhist Center, 711 W. Rosemary St., Suite E, Carrboro. Walk-ins are welcome. meditationinchapelhill.org, KosalaEPC@gmail.com.
▪ The Chapel Hill Zen Center hosts a recovery group with a Buddhist perspective on 12-step programs at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 5322 N.C. 86. Meetings begin with 20 minutes of silent meditation. 919-265-7600, ZenandRecovery@gmail.com.
▪ The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance support group meets from 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays at Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive. 919-533-9510.
▪ The Optimist Club of Chapel Hill meets at 5:30 p.m. on the first, second and third Wednesdays of the month at the Bob Evans restaurant, 5419 Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham. New members are welcome.
▪ The People of Color Meditation Group meets 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Chapel Hill Zen Center, 5322 N.C. 86. For details, email Conal or Kriti: email@example.com.
▪ An introduction to Buddhist philosophy, psychology and meditation will be from 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Kosala Buddhist Center, 711 W. Rosemary St., Suite E, Carrboro. meditationinchapelhill.org, KosalaEPC@gmail.com.
▪ The Planting Seeds Sangha group meets to study and practice the Buddha’s teachings on mindfulness and meditation from 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays at the Church of the Advocate, 8410 Merin Road, Chapel Hill. Newcomers are welcome and no experience is necessary. plantingseedssangha.wix.com/chapel-hill-nc
▪ Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous meets from 10:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at the United Church of Chapel Hill, 1321 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. foodaddicts.org.
To add your club to the calendar or update your group’s meeting time or location, send information two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.