The U.S. Small Business Administration North Carolina District Office and AARP host an entrepreneur fair for people age 50 or older starting or expanding small businesses from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Carolina Club (George Watts Hill Alumni Center), 104 Ridge Road, Chapel Hill. Register online: bit.ly/1UyXtrS.
Carrboro Farmers’ Market
Never miss a local story.
The Carrboro Farmers’ Market will be open from 3-6 p.m. at 301 W. Main St.
The Optimist Club of Chapel Hill meets at 5:30 p.m. on the first, second and third Wednesdays of the month at the Bob Evans restaurant, 5419 Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham. New members are welcome.
General Meditation Class
An introduction to Buddhist philosophy, psychology and meditation will be from 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Kosala Buddhist Center, 711 W. Rosemary St., Suite E, Carrboro. meditationinchapelhill.org, KosalaEPC@gmail.com.
Downtown Pop Up Farmers’ Market
The Downtown Pop Up Farmers’ Market is open from noon to 2 p.m. Thursdays at 140 W. Franklin Plaza.
Saving Our Pollinators
Butterflies, Science, and You: Observing Butterflies as a Citizen Scientist, part of the North Carolina Botanical Garden’s Saving Our Pollinators program, is noon to 1 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 20. Registration is required. ncbg.unc.edu/calendar.
Overeaters Anonymous will meet from 12:30-1:30 p.m. Thursdays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road. The group meets in the white building beside the main church building, directly across from Looking Glass Cafe.
Chess players are invited to the Orange County Main Library from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays on the second floor of the library at 137 W. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough. If you plan to time games, bring your own clock or timer. Ages 10 and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous
Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous meets from 10:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at the United Church of Chapel Hill, 1321 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. foodaddicts.org.
The Carrboro Farmers’ Market is open from 7 a.m. to noon in the Carrboro Town Commons beside Town Hall at 301 W. Main St.
The Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market is open from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday at 201 S. Estes Drive.
Please send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chatham County schools’ open houses continue this week. Here’s the schedule for local schools:
▪ Northwood High School: Freshmen from 8 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Aug. 18, at 310 Northwood High School Road, Pittsboro.
▪ Pittsboro Elementary School: 4:30-6:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 20, at 375 Pittsboro Elementary School Road, Pittsboro.
▪ Horton Middle School: Fifth and sixth grade from 5-6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 20, and seventh and eighth grade from 6-7 p.m., at 79 Horton St., Pittsboro.
▪ Margaret B. Pollard Middle School: 5:15-6:45 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 20, at 185 Granite Mill Blvd., Chapel Hill.
▪ North Chatham Elementary School: 5:30-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 20, at 3380 Lystra Road, Chapel Hill.
▪ Perry W. Harrison Elementary School: 5:30-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 20, at 2655 Hamlets Chapel Road, Pittsboro.
▪ The Chatham Chamber of Commerce is accepting applications for the 2015-16 Class Year of the Leadership Chatham Program through Thursday, Aug. 20. The class meets once a month from September through May. 919-742-3333, email@example.com.
▪ Registration for seniors and retirees for Peer Learning classes is now open. A $25 fee covers ten classes and social groups. Classes will be at Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive, Chapel Hill. 919-942-3044, peerlearningofchapelhill.com.
▪ Registration for Shared Learning of Chapel Hill courses is open. The 12-week courses will meet mornings at Celebration Assembly of God Church, 114 Weaver Dairy Road, Chapel Hill. There is a $50 annual membership fee. 919-932-7356, 703-329-2933, sharedlearningchapelhill.com.
▪ N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission and the Chatham County Center of North Carolina Extension Service host a series of free workshops for local landowners. Workshops will be on Oct. 28, Nov. 16 and Jan. 9. Register by email with “wildlife” in the subject line: firstname.lastname@example.org.