A bird walk with the New Hope Audubon Society starts at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. Meet at the Wild Bird Center, 1800 E. Franklin St., Chapel Hill. For more information, email David Anderson: firstname.lastname@example.org.
New birders are welcome. If there is heavy rain, the walk will be cancelled.
Never miss a local story.
Planting Seeds Sangha
The Planting Seeds Sangha group meets to study and practice the Buddha’s teachings on mindfulness and meditation from 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays at the Church of the Advocate, 8410 Merin Road, Chapel Hill. Newcomers are welcome and no experience is necessary.
Two drop-in public meetings with updates on the Lower Booker Creek Subwatershed Study will be on Thursday at the Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive. The first is from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and the second is from 5:30-7:30 p.m. lowerbookercreeksws.org.
New Hope Audubon Society
The New Hope Audubon Society’s monthly meeting is at 7 p.m. at the North Carolina Botanical Garden, 100 Old Mason Farm Road, Chapel Hill. Jeff Pippen will talk about monitoring bird and butterfly populations in Montana. Visitors are welcome.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will hold a blood drive for the American Red Cross from 3:30-8 p.m. at 1050 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Chapel Hill.
John Kent will lead volunteers monitoring New Hope Creek water quality with the New Hope Audubon Society on Saturday. Email Kent for more information: email@example.com.
▪ The Carrboro Farmers’ Market is open from 9 a.m. to noon in the Carrboro Town Commons beside Town Hall at 301 W. Main St.
▪ The Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market is open from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday at 201 S. Estes Drive.
Please send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Cornucopia House Cancer Support Center offers a free Restorative Yoga class for anyone affected by cancer from 9:30-11 a.m. Sundays at Blue Point Yoga Studio, 2816 Erwin Road, Durham. 919-401-9333.
▪ Meet to send books to people in prison 1-4 p.m. Sundays at 621 Hillsborough Road, Carrboro. prisonbooks.info.
▪ Overeaters Anonymous meets 4-5 p.m. Sundays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road. 919-360-3789.
▪ Breastfeeding Cafe, an informal drop-in for breastfeeding moms, is 10-11 a.m. Mondays at the Red Hen, University Mall, 201 S. Estes Drive.
▪ A yoga class by the UNC Comprehensive Cancer Support Program for people with cancer, caregivers and cancer survivors is 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Mondays at Carolina Pointe II, 6011 Farrington Road. Each class costs $5. unclineberger.org.
▪ Women 55 and older walk trails in Meadowmont at 3:30 p.m. Mondays. 919-967-4054, email@example.com.
▪ Anorexia Bulimia Anonymous, a 12-step program for people with eating disorders, meets 7-8 p.m. Mondays in room 17 at Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive, Chapel Hill. triangleaba.wix.com/meeting.
▪ Overeaters Anonymous meets from 7-8 p.m. Mondays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road: 919-259-2843. Meetings are also held from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at Evergreen United Methodist Church, U.S. 15-501: 919-933-1355. Another group meets 12:30-1:30 p.m. Thursdays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road. This group meets in the white building beside the main church building, directly across from Looking Glass Cafe.
▪ Gamblers Anonymous meets at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Amity United Methodist Church, 825 Estes Drive. Call Tom at 919-460-9039.
▪ A 12-step program for relatives and friends of addicts meets 8-9 p.m. Mondays at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3638 Chapel Hill Road, Durham. 919-596-2915, nar-anon.org.
▪ Cornucopia House Cancer Support Center offers a free Restorative Yoga class for anyone affected by cancer from 10-11:30 a.m. Tuesdays at St. Thomas More Catholic Church, 940 Carmichael St., Chapel Hill. 919-401-9333.
▪ A needlework group that creates knitted and crocheted items for charities meets 1-2:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, in Meeting Room A. 919-968-2780.
▪ Residents 50 and up play bingo from 2-3:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Carrboro Century Center, 100 N. Greensboro St., Carrboro. 919-918-7364.
▪ A Meditation 101 class introduces beginners to meditation from 7-8:15 p.m. every Tuesday at Kosala Buddhist Center, 711 W. Rosemary St., Suite E, Carrboro. Walk-ins are welcome. meditationinchapelhill.org, KosalaEPC@gmail.com.
▪ The Chapel Hill Zen Center hosts a group with a Buddhist perspective on 12-step programs at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 5322 N.C. 86. Meetings begin with 20 minutes of silent meditation. 919-265-7600, ZenandRecovery@gmail.com.
▪ The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance support group meets from 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays at Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive. 919-533-9510.
▪ The Optimist Club of Chapel Hill meets at 5:30 p.m. on the first, second and third Wednesdays of the month at the Bob Evans restaurant, 5419 Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham. New members are welcome.
▪ The People of Color Meditation Group meets 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Chapel Hill Zen Center, 5322 N.C. 86. For details, email Conal or Kriti: firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ An introduction to Buddhist philosophy, psychology and meditation will be from 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Kosala Buddhist Center, 711 W. Rosemary St., Suite E, Carrboro. meditationinchapelhill.org, KosalaEPC@gmail.com.
▪ Chess players are invited to the Orange County Main Library from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays on the second floor of the library at 137 W. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough. If you plan to time games, bring your own clock or timer. Ages 10 and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
▪ Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous meets from 10:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at the United Church of Chapel Hill, 1321 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. foodaddicts.org.
To add your club to the calendar or update your group’s meeting time or location, send information two weeks in advance to email@example.com.
Volunteer in local schools
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools organizers are looking for volunteers to work for one or two hours per week. Volunteers can pick placements to match their schedules and interests. bit.ly/CHCCS2volunteer.