Planting Seeds Sangha
The Planting Seeds Sangha group meets to study and practice the Buddha’s teachings on mindfulness and meditation from 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays at the Church of the Advocate, 8410 Merin Road, Chapel Hill. Newcomers are welcome and no experience is necessary.
Never miss a local story.
Chatham Charter School will host an interest meeting for eighth-grade students and their families at 2 p.m. at 2200 Hamp Stone Road, Siler City.
A meeting for residents, home builders and architects will be at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Chamber of Town Hall, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Chapel Hill.
The N.C. General Assembly recently passed legislation that affects Chapel Hill’s development rules and policies. The meeting will give information on changes to the Land Use Management Ordinance.
School board meeting
The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education meets to review a report by The Campaign for Racial Equity, “Excellence with Equity: The Schools Our Children Deserve,” at 7 p.m. in the Board Room of the school district’s central office, 750 S. Merritt Mill Road, Chapel Hill.
The meeting is open to the public. It will also be streamed online at chccs.k12.nc.us.
A blood drive for the American Red Cross will be from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Lowe’s Home Improvement, 121 Lowe’s Drive, Pittsboro. redcrossblood.org.
▪ The Carrboro Farmers’ Market is open from 9 a.m. to noon in the Carrboro Town Commons beside Town Hall at 301 W. Main St.
▪ The Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market is open from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday at 201 S. Estes Drive.
Waldorf Education Day and open house
The Emerson Waldorf School invites prospective students and families to try classes and learn about the school from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 6211 New Jericho Road, Chapel Hill.
Register online: emersonwaldorf.org. 919-967-1858.
Horton High School alumni
The Horton High School Alumni Association meets at 10 a.m. at Horton Middle School, suite 813, 79 Horton St., Pittsboro.
A cat adoption event will be 2-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Petco South Square, 4011 Durham Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham, and in several foster homes on Monday.
Independent Animal Rescue has reduced the adoption fee for cats at least 1 year old from $100 to $50 until the end of January. animalrescue.net.
‘Coal Miner’s Daughter’
The Chapel Hill Public Library screens “Coal Miner’s Daughter” at 2:30 p.m. in meeting room B at 100 Library Drive.
Please send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Cornucopia House Cancer Support Center offers a free Restorative Yoga class for anyone affected by cancer from 9:30-11 a.m. Sundays at Blue Point Yoga Studio, 2816 Erwin Road, Durham. 919-401-9333.
▪ Meet to send books to people in prison 1-4 p.m. Sundays at 621 Hillsborough Road, Carrboro. prisonbooks.info.
▪ Overeaters Anonymous meets 4-5 p.m. Sundays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road. 919-360-3789.
▪ Breastfeeding Cafe, an informal drop-in for breastfeeding moms, is 10-11 a.m. Mondays at the Red Hen, University Mall, 201 S. Estes Drive.
▪ A yoga class by the UNC Comprehensive Cancer Support Program for people with cancer, caregivers and cancer survivors is 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Mondays at Carolina Pointe II, 6011 Farrington Road. Each class costs $5. unclineberger.org.
▪ Women 55 and older walk trails in Meadowmont at 3:30 p.m. Mondays. 919-967-4054, email@example.com.
▪ Anorexia Bulimia Anonymous, a 12-step program for people with eating disorders, meets 7-8 p.m. Mondays in room 17 at Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive, Chapel Hill. triangleaba.wix.com/meeting.
▪ Overeaters Anonymous meets from 7-8 p.m. Mondays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road: 919-259-2843. Meetings are also held from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at Evergreen United Methodist Church, U.S. 15-501: 919-933-1355. Another group meets 12:30-1:30 p.m. Thursdays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road. This group meets in the white building beside the main church building, directly across from Looking Glass Cafe.
▪ Gamblers Anonymous meets at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Amity United Methodist Church, 825 Estes Drive. Call Tom at 919-460-9039.
▪ A 12-step program for relatives and friends of addicts meets 8-9 p.m. Mondays at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3638 Chapel Hill Road, Durham. 919-596-2915, nar-anon.org.
▪ Cornucopia House Cancer Support Center offers a free Restorative Yoga class for anyone affected by cancer from 10-11:30 a.m. Tuesdays at St. Thomas More Catholic Church, 940 Carmichael St., Chapel Hill. 919-401-9333.
▪ A needlework group that creates knitted and crocheted items for charities meets 1-2:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, in Meeting Room A. 919-968-2780.
▪ Residents 50 and up play bingo from 2-3:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Carrboro Century Center, 100 N. Greensboro St., Carrboro. 919-918-7364.
▪ A Meditation 101 class introduces beginners to meditation from 7-8:15 p.m. every Tuesday at Kosala Buddhist Center, 711 W. Rosemary St., Suite E, Carrboro. Walk-ins are welcome. meditationinchapelhill.org, KosalaEPC@gmail.com.
▪ The Chapel Hill Zen Center hosts a group with a Buddhist perspective on 12-step programs at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 5322 N.C. 86. Meetings begin with 20 minutes of silent meditation. 919-265-7600, ZenandRecovery@gmail.com.
▪ The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance support group meets from 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays at Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive. 919-533-9510.
▪ The Optimist Club of Chapel Hill meets at 5:30 p.m. on the first, second and third Wednesdays of the month at the Bob Evans restaurant, 5419 Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham. New members are welcome.
▪ The People of Color Meditation Group meets 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Chapel Hill Zen Center, 5322 N.C. 86. For details, email Conal or Kriti: firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ An introduction to Buddhist philosophy, psychology and meditation will be from 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Kosala Buddhist Center, 711 W. Rosemary St., Suite E, Carrboro. meditationinchapelhill.org, KosalaEPC@gmail.com.
▪ Chess players are invited to the Orange County Main Library from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays on the second floor of the library at 137 W. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough. If you plan to time games, bring your own clock or timer. Ages 10 and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
▪ Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous meets from 10:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at the United Church of Chapel Hill, 1321 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. foodaddicts.org.
To add your club to the calendar or update your group’s meeting time or location, send information two weeks in advance to email@example.com.
Volunteer in local schools
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools organizers are looking for volunteers to work for one or two hours per week. Volunteers can pick placements to match their schedules and interests. bit.ly/CHCCS2volunteer.