NCHSAA football finals to be held this weekend
Northern Guilford will reap the reward of defeating Chapel Hill last Friday by advancing to Saturday night’s NCHSAA 3AA football championship game at 8 p.m. in Carter-Finley Stadium, where the Nighthawks (14-1) will meet Matthews Wedington (14-1).
If Northern Guilford were to win Saturday, it would mark the second year that most of the Big Eight’s entries were eliminated by each other or the eventual state champion.
Last year, Southern eliminated Chapel Hill, Cardinal Gibbons and Orange before winning the 2013 3AA championship. This year, Northern Guilford ousted Northwood 56-26, Orange 31-7, and Chapel Hill 34-15; and Chapel Hill knocked off the defending champion Spartans.
Never miss a local story.
Other NCHSAA championship games this weekend in Carter-Finley include :
• Wallace-Rose Hill (14-1) vs. Starmount (12-3) for the Class 1AA championship, 7:30 p.m. Friday,
• Plymouth (14-1) vs. Robbinsville (15-0) for the 1A championship, noon, Saturday, and
• Havelock (14-1) vs. Crest (15-0), the 3A championship, 4 p.m. Saturday.
Games at BB&T Field in Winston-Salem are:
• New Bern (15-0) vs. Charlotte Catholic (14-1) in the 4A championship game, 7:30 p.m. Friday;
• Clinton (13-1) vs. Shelby (13-2), the 2A championship, noon Saturday;
• Washington (14-1) vs. East Lincoln (15-0), the 2AA championship, 4 p.m. Saturday;
• Wake Forest (15-0) vs. Mallard Creek (14-1), the 4AA championship, 8 p.m. Saturday.
For the first time in more than a decade, no championship games are planned for Kenan Stadium’s field, which is closed for renovations.
Orange continuing registration for adult basketball league
Registration ends Dec. 19 for the Orange County Rec Department’s Winter Basketball League for adult men, ages 16 and up.
Sign-up costs $415 per team. Individuals without a team who want to play should contact the Orange County Department of Environment, Agriculture, Parks & Recreation at 919-245-2660 to be placed on a “free agent” list.
Play will be Sunday evenings at the Central Recreation Center, with times to be determined by the number of teams that register.
For more information, see http://nando.com/o4.
North Chatham Youth Lacrosse to host free clinic
North Chatham Youth Lacrosse will conduct a free, introductory clinic for anyone in grades 1-8 who is interested in learning the game of lacrosse. All equipment will be provided free of charge.
The clinic is planned for 2-3 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 11, at Northeast District Park, located at 5408 Big Woods Road near Jordan Lake.
For more information, please email Coach Chris Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org.