Layne Riggs outdueled Terry Dease to register his third victory of 2016 in a 75-lap Late Model Stock Car race last weekend at Orange County Speedway.
Riggs had earlier posted the division’s fastest qualifying lap, but was moved back in the starting field due to a car height infraction. He quickly charged to a contending position behind polesitter and early leader Chris Denny.
Right after Riggs passed for the lead, Denny blew the engine in his Chevy and was done for the night. Riggs’ Ford led the remaining laps despite constant pressure from Dease and his Chevy.
Dease settled for second and increased his point lead in the division’s championship standings.
Never miss a local story.
In the 35-lap Limited Sportsman event, Daryl Carver claimed an emotional win in his first race since the death a few weeks ago of his uncle, Donnie Carver. Donnie was a popular fixture in local racing for many years, but lost his battle to cancer after a long fight.
Class points leader Boo Boo Dalton was second in the Limited Sportsman race.
In other races Saturday night at OCS:
▪ Jarrett Milam took his third victory of the year in a 25-lap Pure Stock affair. Milam passed Bobby Clayton Jr. late to post the win. Clayton leads the points for that division.
▪ Jeffrey Martin won his first 25-lap Street Stock race with points leader Jared Gilles close behind.
▪ John Comstock garnered his initial triumph in a 20-lap Super Mini Truck race as he edged Brook Beckham.
▪ Dennis Capps won for the fourth time in a 20-lap Mod Four battle.
▪ Don Lassiter was first in a 10-lap Vintage Sportsman race.
Orange County Speedway
Saturday, Aug. 13, 2016
Late Model: Layne Riggs, Terry Dease, Barry Beggarly, Daniel Moss, Mike Chambers, Chris Denny
Limited Sportsman: Daryl Carver, Boo Boo Dalton, Daniel Moss, Jerry Hinesley, Cory Purnell, Tracey Chambers, Gary Young Jr.
Pure Stock: Jarrett Milam, Bobby Clayton Jr., Mike Milam, Chase Sanderfur, Quincey Adkins, Brandon Sharpe, Danny Winstead, Mike Herron
Street Stock: Jeffrey Martin, Jared Gilles, Michael Smith, Joe Lunsford, Austin Purnell DQ
Super Mini Trucks: John Comstock, Brook Beckham, Dalton Martin, Nick McFarland, Devon Parrott, Scott Martin
Mod Four: Dennis Capps, Harold Summey, Timmy Wilder, Cory Purnell, Austin Purnell, Tommy Dale Lassiter
Vintage Sportsman: Don Lassiter, Kenneth Smith, Don Blaylock