Durham News

August 11, 2014

Two weekend Durham shootings are homicide cases as second victim dies

An 18-year-old who was critically wounded Saturday night in shooting on Lee Street died, police said Monday, and the incident is now considered a homicide.

Police are investigating separate weekend shootings that claimed the lives of two 18-year-old men.

The first shooting happened about 9:45 p.m. Saturday in the 600 block of Lee Street.

When officers arrived, they found 18-year-old Rakwon Smith critically wounded inside his home.

Police said Monday that Smith had died.

The shots appeared to have been fired from outside the house, according to police spokeswoman Kammie Michael.

In the other incident, officers found Breon McCallum, 18, of Durham lying in the intersection of Wabash Street and Ridgeway Avenue shortly before 11 a.m. Sunday. He had been shot multiple times and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Anyone with information about McCallum’s shooting is asked to call Investigator E. Ortiz at 919-560-4440, ext. 29337 or Crime Stoppers at 919-683-1200.

Anyone with information about the Lee Street incident is asked to call Investigator A. Cristaldi at 919-560-4440, ext. 29322 or Crime Stoppers.

CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases, and callers never have to identify themselves.

The weekend shootings bring the city’s 2014 homicide total to 14, Michael said.

The total does not include the death of Durham priest Kent Hinkson, whose body was found in Orange County and whose death is being investigated by the state Bureau of Investigation.

There were 30 homicides in Durham in 2013.

Related content

Comments

Videos

Editor's Choice Videos