The Durham Police Department released a statement saying it has no further comment on the the traffic stop three years ago that left a police officer with a gunshot wound in the leg.
The News & Observer sought comment from the department and Police Chief Jose Lopez after defense attorney Alex Charns, who represented Carlos Antonio Riley, released two police documents indicating Officer Kelly Stewart shot himself.
Charns received the documents during the discovery process before Riley’s trial. He said they showed the department was determined to prosecute Riley regardless of the evidence.
A jury last week acquitted Riley of all but a robbery charge tied to the Dec. 18, 2012, traffic stop.
Never miss a local story.
“All evidence the Durham Police Department collected in this case was turned over to the Durham County District Attorney’s Office and the defense attorneys,” the Police Department’s statement said. “This case has been resolved in court and the police department has no further comment on this case.”