The Volunteer Center of Durham coordinates volunteer events and services across the Triangle. For more information on these events, visit www.HandsOnTriangle.org or call 919-613-4515.
Durham• Walk MS needs help distributing brochures to various retail locations in the Triangle and surrounding areas. The walk will occur at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, April 5, at 1400 Edwards Mill Road, Raleigh.
• Be a part of this year’s Clean-Up-a-Thon on Lake Jordan from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 15.
• The Durham Literacy Center’s Teen Career Academy provides one-on-one tutoring with young adults who are pursuing their GED. Become and instructor Monday through Thursday from 9 to 11:30 a.m.
• Lean about Guatemalan culture and health issues with Curamericas Global on a trip to Huehuetenango June 8-17.
• Make a difference in the lives of seniors by calling them on a weekly or daily basis at the Durham Center for Senior Life.
• Waste Reduction Partners needs volunteers to do waste reduction and water and energy assessments in central and eastern N.C.
• Help out at the warehouse for the Durham Economic Resource Center. Answer the phone, enter data, and restock shelves.
• Work with experienced naturalists and educators to work with a small group of children during explorations, games, and other hands-on outdoor activities at Creekside or Forest View Elementary, or at Githens Middle School.
• Through creative activities and guided homework sessions, help a child develop the skills they need to succeed. Provide one-on-one mentoring or tutor a small group of students through your local YMCA.
• The Veggie Van works to deliver boxes of fresh, locally grown veggies to people who have limited access to these products. Volunteers are needed for the van sites at Durham Tech and the DC Health Dept.
• Do you enjoy working with high schoolers? Junior Leadership Durham needs a program coordinator.
Chapel Hill• Help TABLE with its hunger relief programs. Shifts are Monday and Tuesday nights from 6 to 8 p.m. and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon and 2:20 to 4:20 p.m.
• Baseball coaches are needed for children ages 6-8, 9-10, and 11-12 with the Carrboro Recreation and Parks Department.
• Carolina Villages needs kind-hearted occasional volunteers to help older adults in Chapel Hill and Carrboro remain in their own homes.
• UNC hospitals needs volunteers to make infant gowns and cover boxes with fabric.
• Want to be a part of the theatre program at The ArtsCenter? The Theatre Team is made up of volunteers interested in all aspects of theatre – from helping build sets, to doing tech work, to ushering and everything in between.
• Would you like to help get the word out about the Affordable Care Act? Volunteers are needed to help with outreach to consumers, make phone calls and enter data, canvassing and staffing table at festivals.