The Volunteer Center of Durham coordinates volunteer events and services across the Triangle. For more information on these events, visit www.HandsOnTriangle.org or call 919-613-4515.
Durham• Do you have experience with hand drums or a drum circle? MusicianCorps is partnering with the Durham VA to engage residents of the VA Community Living Center at 9:30 a.m. Friday, May 23.
• Do you enjoy administrative projects? Volunteer your skills at DERC, The Land Loss Prevention Project, Durham Community Land Trustees or the Center for Child and Family Health.
• Give a week this summer to help children with neuromuscular disease June 7-13 at Camp Hanes north of Winston-Salem.
• Learn about Guatemalan culture and health issues with Curamericas Global on a trip to Huehuetenango June 8-17.
• Would you like to improve your community? Apply to serve on one of the 43 advisory boards of Durham County.
• Help homeless animals by being an ambassador for AnimalKind at community events in the area.
• Be a part of an inter-faith youth movement to transform divided societies into communities of peace. Assist in data entry and communication for Kids4Peace.
• Become a Parent Supporter to new mothers with Welcome Baby by calling them weekly.
• Do you have experience writing grants? Help with grant research and proposal writing for the Congo Initiative remotely from your home.
• Make a difference in the lives of seniors by calling them on a weekly or daily basis at the Durham Center for Senior Life.
• Help out at the warehouse for the Durham Economic Resource Center. Answer the phone, enter data, and restock shelves.
• Work with experienced naturalists and educators to work with a small group of children during explorations, games, and other hands-on outdoor activities at Creekside or Forest View Elementary, or at Githens Middle School.
• Through creative activities and guided homework sessions, help a child develop the skills they need to succeed. Provide one-on-one mentoring or tutor a small group of students through your local YMCA.
• The Veggie Van works to deliver boxes of fresh, locally grown veggies to people who have limited access to these products. Volunteers are needed for the van sites at Durham Tech and the DC Health Dept.
• Help EarthShare NC with marketing and tracking participating groups to celebrate North Carolina’s natural environment.
• Help students with homework in after-school tutoring at the Salvation Army from 4 to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
• Are you knowledgeable about wildlife? Volunteers are needed to answer WildNet phone lines on weekends. WildNet connects wildlife to rehabilitators and can be forwarded to your personal line.
• The Durham Literacy Center’s Teen Career Academy provides one-on-one tutoring with young adults who are pursuing their GED. Become and instructor Monday through Thursday from 9 to 11:30 a.m.
• Do you have some free time on Wednesday nights? Do you speak some Spanish? Converse with Latino immigrants on an informal basis at Pilgrim UCC, 3011 Academy Road, Durham.
Chapel Hill• Carolina Villages needs kind-hearted occasional volunteers to help older adults in Chapel Hill and Carrboro remain in their own homes.
• UNC hospitals needs volunteers to make infant gowns and cover boxes with fabric.
• Want to be a part of the theatre program at The ArtsCenter? The Theatre Team is made up of volunteers interested in all aspects of theatre – from helping build sets, to doing tech work, to ushering and everything in between.
• Do you have a caring heart for families of children with cancer? Volunteer in the Ronald McDonald Family Room on the 7th floor of the NC Children’s Hospital where families can relax and "get away" while still being close to their child.
• Help TABLE with its hunger relief programs. Shifts are Monday and Tuesday nights from 6 to 8 p.m. and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon and 2:20 to 4:20 p.m.