Growing thru Grief, a coalition of churches and organizations that support those who mourn the loss of a loved one, will sponsor a free six-week series on the grief process, beginning Oct. 6.
Sessions will focus on “The Ripples of Grief” and how we trace those ripples in our lives:
▪ Oct. 6: The Ripples of Grief: Tracing it through our bodies.
▪ Oct. 12: Tracing it through our emotions.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Oct. 20: Tracing it when traumatic and complicated.
▪ Oct. 27: Tracing it through our families.
▪ Nov. 10: Tracing it through our spirits.
Rob Womak, a licensed mental health counselor, will lead the sessions. He has a master’s degree in counseling as well as a master’s of divinity from Wake Forest University. In 2010, he completed a clinical pastoral education residency at Duke Medical Center where he won the Wesley Aitken Award for Outstanding Pastoral Care. He has a private practice in Durham.
All sessions will be held from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Tuesdays at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 1200 W. Cornwallis Road. The group will gather for coffee and cookies at 4 p.m. All are welcome.
Meetings include fellowship, lectures on various aspects of grief and small group discussions led by trained facilitators.
Covenant Presbyterian Church on Weaver Street will hold a joint worship service with Chapel Hill’s Church of Reconciliation on Sunday, Oct. 4, marking World Communion Sunday. The Chapel Hill church, located at 110 Elliott Road, will host the service.
The two churches have celebrated World Communion Sunday together for 19 years, taking turns as host church.
The joint service, led by the Rev. Jimmie R. Hawkins of Covenant and the Rev. Mark Davidson of Reconciliation, celebrates racial diversity and the friendship between the two Presbyterian congregations.
“The worship service is a celebration of our unity and the bonds of faith that connect us,” Davidson said. “And we invite other worshipers beyond our two churches to join us.”
Combined choirs of the two churches will provide choral music and a special offering to support a local ministry will be received.
World Communion Sunday originated in 1933 at Shadyside Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh. It now includes many Christian denominations, cultures and races around the world.
Durham’s Life International Church, 4823 Meadow Drive, marked its 30th anniversary last weekend with an evening of praise and laughter on Friday, a fun walk and carnival on Saturday and a Celebration of Cultures at the 9 and 11 a.m. services Sunday.
Life International was founded as a reflection of the rich culture and heritage celebrated by its senior pastors, Kingsley Fletcher and Martha Fletcher. Born in Ghana and Mexico respectively, their ministry has become known as the church “Where the Nations Gather.”
During his years as pastor, Fletcher has traveled the world as an international missionary and evangelist, speaking for mass crusades, at Bible colleges, conferences and churches. He has visited more than 32 nations where he has established about 200 churches.
The Durham church’s membership comes from 45 countries in Africa, Asia, South America, Central America, the South Pacific, the Caribbean and Europe.
Last weekend during the annual church picnic at Trinity United Methodist Church, 215 N. Church St., this downtown church dedicated a plaque declaring the historic church building as a “United Methodist Historic Site.”
The designation was made by the North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church.
Organized in 1832, before Durham was a town, the church was born out of an 1830 revival at a place called Orange Grove. Although most United Methodist Churches these days have grown up to be liturgical, are somewhat formal with plenty of pomp and circumstance in their worship, this is a church that came out of the Pentecostal movement.
Trinity marked steady growth in its early years and by the early part of the 20th century had already become the “Mother Church of Methodism” in Durham. Duke Memorial on West Chapel Hill Street was a plant in 1924. Others came later.
By the early 1920s, Trinity’s membership had reached 1,031.
When Methodists got together to plan for the move of Trinity College from Randolph County to Durham, they met at Trinity. The move took place in 1892 and the college became Duke University in 1924.
Among a list of capital improvements to the church building over the years, part of the information submitted for consideration as a historic site, are:
▪ In 1965-66 the Mattie Toms Buchanan Memorial Garden was designed, planted and in 2005 enhanced.
▪ In 1968 the Ralph Rogers family provided the Antiphonal Oran in the sanctuary.
▪ In the 1969 the Bickett Idol family donated the Memorial Chapel.
▪ In the 1980s, Trinity began its bell choir with three octaves of bells, later enhanced.
▪ In 1985 the steeple, originally planned in 1924, was erected with funds provided by the estate of Henrietta Shaw Glenn and designed by architect Felix Markham IV.
▪ In the late 1980s an elevator was installed as a gift from Marguerite C. Pate.
▪ Planning for the columbarium began in 1998 and the first interment was held in 2001.
▪ A recent capital campaign has resulted in complete renovation of four main restrooms for handicapped access and modernization of plumbing as well as refurbishing of sanctuary lights.
Contact Flo Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 910-361-4135.