Justin Newlin took advantage of a first-turn pileup to gain the point and raced to his first ever late-model stock victory in a 75 lapper at Orange County Speedway.
Pole sitter Josh Oakley lost his transmission as the field came down for the green flag and stacked up several cars behind him, including Chuck Lawson, Thomas Scott and Mike Chambers. All received some significant damage in the ensuing melee. Outside front row starter Newlin shot into the lead and held off Mason Hudson the rest of the way.
Chambers recovered to finsh third followed by Lawson and Scott.
“This is the best car I ever sat my butt in” stated a happy Newlin. “We knew we had something special in practice.”
Never miss a local story.
The 2010 OCS Limited Sportsman champion’s first Late Model win seemed to be long over due.
Earlier Lawson took a second consecutive triumph in this night’s 35 lap limited event. Defending division champion Jerry Hinesley took second. Dennis Sargent Jr. garnered third in his badly overheating mount ahead of Daniel Moss and Chris Gray. Moss led much of the early going before brushing the wall on the backstretch . Lawson took over then and went on to the win.
In other races: Layne Riggs was the best of a 14 car field in the 25 lap pure stock battle, Cory Purnell won his fourth straight 25 lap street stock chase and Junior Chriscoe took first in the 20 lap super mini truck affair.
• Late model stock: Justin Newlin, Mason Hudson, Mike Chambers, Chuck Lawson, Thomas Scott, Grayson Massey, Donald Brace, Chris Denny, Josh Oakley
• Limited sportsman: Chuck Lawson, Jerry Hinesley, Dennis Sargent Jr., Daniel Moss, Chris Gray, Chris Henderson, Daniel Schadt
• Pure stock: Layne Riggs, Stuart Crews, Jared Gilles, Eric Crews, Justin Chandler, Brandon Watson, James Peery, Dennis Sargent III, Harrison Walker, Greg Autry, Corey Whitely, D.J. Moser, Mike Milam, Chase Sandefur
• Street stock: Cory Purnell, Jerry Wilkerson, Austin Purnell, Michael Smith, Richard Hayden, Scoot Hayden
• Super mini trucks: Junior Chriscoe, Wesley Martin, Kiser Martin, David Wenhart, Jeffrey Martin, Jennifer Lineberger, Ray Chriscoe, Scott Martin.