A trailer fire that took place Thursday afternoon resulting in a total loss of the structure was accidental, according to officials.
No one was injured in the incident at 451 Perry Curtis Road, south of Zebulon, where firefighters responded to a heavy blaze reported at 4:20 p.m.
Zebulon Fire was the first to respond, and was joined by departments from Corinth Holders, Hopkins, Pilot and Wendell, and Eastern Wake EMS. Zebulon fire Chief Chris Perry said former occupants were cleaning out their belongings when the fire started.
“They were in there moving materials out,” Perry said. “From what I understand from the investigator, they were in a dark area and using a candle or lighter or something to help see and some materials caught fire.”
Never miss a local story.
The call was dispatched as a fire at two mobile homes. Perry said it was unclear whether it was a double-wide trailer or two single-wide trailers pushed up next to each other. It took Zebulon firefighters four minutes to respond from their station, about a mile and a half away.
“When we arrived it was a heavy fire showing, there was fire coming out of several of the windows on multiple side of both trailers,” Perry said. “The wind was definitely a factor. Once it started burning, the way the wind got in there definitely added to the outcome.”
Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 30 minutes. Perry said they remained at the site until about 6:30 p.m. as investigators finished their report.
The wind coupled with well-below freezing temperatures made the call a bitter one for responders.
“You saw a lot of ambulances there,” Perry said. “One was there just in case someone got hurt, but others were there to give a place for firefighters to get warm. I didn’t see an actual temperature but I know it was in the teens. Other than just being cold, we didn’t change our operation.”