With two eastern Wake middle school principals retiring and a shifting landscape at East Wake High School, the area’s students will see many new faces when they enter their schools’ doors in August.
The Wake County school board announced Tuesday new principals for eight schools and five interim principal appointments – and of those 13 positions, about half were in the eastern part of the county.
East Wake High School had been made up of four small schools but is being converted back to a consolidated campus. The three East Wake small school principals were reassigned Tuesday, since the principal at East Wake School of Health Science was in her position on an interim basis.
▪ Ritchie “Malik” Bazzell will become principal of Wakefield High School in North Raleigh, with a salary of $97,656 up from his current salary of $86,805. Bazzell has been principal of the East Wake School of Integrated Technology in Wendell since 2010.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Robert James will become principal of West Cary Middle School, with a salary of $75,395, the same as what he had received in his current position. He has been principal of the East Wake School of Arts, Education and Global Studies since 2013.
James replaces Wanza Cole, who will become a director in intervention services in the central office. She had been West Cary’s principal since 2007.
▪ Sebastian Shipp will go from being principal of East Wake School of Engineering Systems to an assistant principal at Millbrook High School in North Raleigh. His current salary of $91,725.96 will remain the same.
With Wendell Middle School principal Mary Castleberry and Zebulon Middle School principal Dalphine Perry retiring at the end of the month, the county has assigned three retired principals as interim principals for the summer.
▪ Roy Teel will be interim principal of Wendell Middle School from July 1 to Aug. 28.
▪ Cathy Williams will be interim principal of Zebulon Middle School from July 1 to Aug. 28.
▪ Vickie Brown will be interim principal of Forestville Road Elementary School in Knightdale from July 6 to Aug. 30.