About half a dozen businesses along Knightdale Boulevard are temporarily closed after a heavy gas leak forced firefighters to shut down part of a gas line Wednesday afternoon.
When a Waste Industries truck driver left his truck to close the gates after dumping trash near the Bojangles at 7525 Knightdale Blvd., he forgot to set the truck’s parking brake, according to Knightdale Fire Chief Tim Guffey, who was on the scene.
The truck rolled over the relief valve for the natural gas line, which is connected to the main line down Knightdale Boulevard, he said.
“It was a significant gas leak,” Guffey said. “You could see the gas coming out a quarter-mile away.”
Never miss a local story.
No one was injured, but the gas leak took Knightdale Fire Department and Eastern Wake Fire Department two hours to contain.
Businesses along Forest Drive and Village Drive lost gas access as well, and Guffey said that all businesses would likely be able to reopen later Wednesday evening.
Although a portion of Knightdale Boulevard had temporarily closed, it had reopened by 6 p.m. Wednesday.
“There was a lot of gas lost,” Guffey said.