Fire destroyed a home southwest of Wendell on the evening of Monday, Aug. 22, but the family was not home when it started and no one was injured.
Fire Chief Brian Staples said his department got the call about the fire at 7808 Cortona Way, in the Tuscan Ridge neighborhood off Turnipseed Road, about 5:45 p.m.
“When units arrived, the fire had already broke out of the roof,” Staples said.
Staples said the fire started in a back corner of the house and spread straight to the outside of the house and up to the attic and roof. The house, with an estimated value of nearly $172,000, was declared a total loss. The fire is believed to have started accidentally.
Never miss a local story.
A neighbor was able to go into the house and rescue the family’s dog before firefighters arrived.
The family of Brian and Amy Fitts is staying with nearby family as they recover from their loss, Staples said.
A GoFundMe page to provide financial assistance to the family has been started at www.gofundme.com/2ry66pzy and had reached more than $4,000 of its $10,000 goal with 54 respondents as of early Wednesday afternoon.
Amy Fitts thanked the fire departments that responded on the Wendell department’s Facebook page Wednesday: “You all did an amazing job and were all so kind and compassionate. ... Each and every one of you were amazing and may God bless each and every one of you who came out and worked hard and endless hours to watch over our home.”
In addition to the Wendell Fire Department, the Eastern Wake, Zebulon, Wake New Hope and Archer Lodge departments responded, as well as the Wake Sheriff’s Office.
Matt Goad: 919-829-4826