Food & Facts
Mansfield Computing Solutions will present a program on Windows 8 from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 29, at the Knightdale Chamber of Commerce, 207 Main St., Knightdale. Registration is $8 for members or $10 for non-members. Visit knightdalechamber.com for more information.
The Knightdale American Legion Post 529 will not meet in July. The next meeting will take place at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 19, at the Raleigh East Airport, 3 Sisters Road, Knightdale. Call Tom Dunn at 919-906-6658 for more information.
Never miss a local story.
Cub Scout roundup
Cub Scout Pack 522 will hold is annual “Round Up” for the new scout year at 7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 25, at Zebulon Baptist Church, 400 N. Arendell Ave., Zebulon. The pack meets at 7 p.m. Monday nights at Zebulon Baptist.
Wendell Parks & Recreation will host the following summer camps at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell. Visit townofwendell.com for more information.
July 28-Aug. 1. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday Applications can be picked up at the Wendell Police Department and must be submitted by June 26. No cost.
•Morehead Planetarium Summer Science Camp:
Grades 2-5, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. August 13-17; 1 to 4 p.m. August 14-16. No cost.
Community garden class
Wake Tech Community College will offer a community garden class from 6 to 9 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Aug. 18 through Sept. 15, and 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 19 through Sept. 11, at its Eastern Wake Education Center, 519 Industrial Drive, Zebulon. Visit Continue.WakeTech.edu to register. The registration fee is $72.
• The Wendell Farmer’s Market is open from 8 a.m. to noon every Saturday through Oct. 25 and features local goods, crafts and produce. Visit WendellFarmersMarket.org.
• The Knightdale Farmer’s Market runs from 8 a.m. to noon each Saturday. Local produce and artisan-crafted goods will be for sale. Various bands and entertainment will perform each week. Those wanting to sell or perform at the Farmer’s Market should call 919-217-2234. All events will be at Knightdale Station, 826 N. First Ave., Knightdale.
Pigeon Forge trip
Zebulon Parks & Recreation will hold a Smoky Mountain Getaway to Pigeon Forge, Tn., Nov. 3-5. The tour features two live shows, visits to the Christ in the Smokies Museum and the Titanic Museum, and a guided tour deep into the mountains. Call 919-823-0432 for more information.
The 5 County Beekeepers Association meets at 7 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month at the Bennett Bunn Plantation, 1915 Old Bunn Road, Zebulon. The group welcomes new members. For more information, visit www.5cba.org or call Bryon Way at 919-295-0245.
East Wake Senior Center events
The East Wake Senior Center offers fitness and line dance classes, crafts, sewing classes, and more for the active senior. The Center is located at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
• The Center offers Medicare counseling on the second Tuesday of each month. The Seniors Health Insurance Information Program is designed to counsel seniors on Medicare changes or questions. Call for an appointment.
• The Center is seeking volunteers who have experience in office work, cleaning and organizing, as well as individuals with sewing, ceramics and craft experience.
• The Center invites adults 60 and older to enjoy a free hot meal weekdays. The Center, open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., also hosts daily exercise sessions, informative programs, entertainment and bingo.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale, has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
• East Regional Library is seeking adult volunteers to help care for the library. Two-hour morning, afternoon, evening and weekend shifts are available.
• Artists interested in having their artwork on display in the library may apply to show their artwork in the library’s main reading room for one month. Call Bob Morrill or Brandy Hamilton at 919-217-5301.
• Through July 31: Spark a Reaction is this year’s summer reading program. Children in grades 5 and under will receive bags and reading logs at the local library, and can receive a “Weekly Wow” when they check out three or more books. Prizes include bookmarks, coloring posters, stickers and other themed items.
• 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, 2 to 5 p.m. Thursdays: JobLink Job Assistance will offer help navigating job websites, submitting online applications, and more.
•6:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29:
Meet mystery authors Lee Mims, J.D. Rohades and Sarah Shaber.
• 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, July 30: Introduction to Entrepreneurship will teach participants critical first steps toward entrepreneurship.
Extended Hands of N.C. is a community-based resource and referral agency in Wendell seeking volunteers to answer telephones, schedule appointments and assist the public in the office. Email HandsOfExtension@hotmail.com for more information.
Ready to Learn classes
The Eastern Region Ready to Learn program offers free classes at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Janice Squires at 919-365-0921 or email@example.com.
Zebulon Community Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
• Story time: 6 p.m. Mondays and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturday.
• K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.
Wendell Community Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade on Tuesdays at 4:30 p.m. 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
• Storytime for preschoolers is at 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the 207 S. Hollybrook Road.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
• Play Day is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
• Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
• Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
• Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
Abrakadoodle, for ages 20 months to 12 years old, meets Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. at the Knightdale Recreation Center, 101 Lawson Ridge Road, Knightdale. Twoosy (20 months to 3 years old) will be offered from 9-9:45 a.m. Saturday and 4-4:45 p.m. Tuesday. Mini-Doodler (3 and a half to 5 years old) will be offered from 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday and 4-4:45 p.m. Thursday. Doodler (5 and a half to 12 years old) will be offered from 11 a.m. to noon Saturday. Twoosy and Mini-Doodler classes are $54 per session, and Doodler classes are $58. For more information, call 919-217-2236.