Zebulon GT Magnet Elementary will sponsor an International Night from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 29, at 700 Proctor St., Zebulon. The night will include exhibits, music, entertainment and food.
Lonesome River Band will play a live concert at 9 p.m. Thursday, May 1, at Norris Creek Entertainment Center, 751 Old Halifax Road, Louisburg. Tickets are from $15 to $75. For more information, visit www.sotmfest.com.
Career and Job Fair
The East Wake Academy Community Relations Committee needs businesses to participate in its elementary career and job fair May 2. The fair runs from 8:30 to 11 a.m. in the school’s gymnasium, at 400 NMC Drive, Zebulon. Email email@example.com
Boy Scout Troop 365 of Knightdale will hold its fourth annual chicken dinner fundraiser from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, May 3, at the Knightdale BB&T, 6612 Knightdale Blvd. The half chicken barbecue plate comes with green beans, potatoes, bread and dessert for $8. Funds will go to the troop for camping activities and summer camp. Call 919-418-6635 for more information.
Public Safety Day
The Wendell Police Department will host its Public Safety Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 3, in downtown Wendell. This is a free community event for the whole family with various public safety agencies to demonstrate equipment, vehicles, activities, raffles and food.
Raleigh Little Theatre and Knightdale Parks & Recreation will offer the next Eastern Wake County Theatre class at Knightdale Recreation Center, 102 Lawson Ridge Road. Classes will run from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays through May 6. The cost is $35, and registrations can be made at Knightdale Town Hall, 950 Steeple Square Court. Call 919-217-2236.
Special Blessings will host a barbecue plate sale from 3 to 7 p.m. Friday, May 9, at Jim’s Mini Mart, 4826 Watkins Road, Raleigh. Plates will include barbecue pork, corn, slaw, drink and a dessert, and are $8 each. Proceeds will go to Special Blessings programs and services that benefit families and children affected by developmental disabilities. For more information, visit www.SpecialBlessingsInc.net.
Knightdale Parks & Recreation will host a Mother and Son Beach Party Friday, May 9, at the Knightdale Recreation Center, 102 Lawson Ridge Road. Call 919-217-2232 for more information.
The Wake Forest Garden Club will host its annual Mad Hatters’ Garden Party Saturday, May 10, at the Wake Forest Historical Museum, 414 N. Main St., Wake Forest. The event will include a classic car show from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; the Mad Hatters’ Tea and Garden Seminars from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.; and the drawing of winning tickets for the raffle at 4 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for children 12 and under in advance, or $18 at the door. Raffle tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5.Visit WFGardenClub.org for more information.
The class of 1974 of Vaiden Whitley High School will hold a reunion Saturday, May 17. Email LightingHid@hotmail.com for more information.
• The Knightdale Farmer’s Market will open May 17 and run from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. each Saturday. Local produce and artisan-crafted goods will be for sale. Various bands and entertainment will perform each week. For the opening day, a food truck rodeo will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and $5 rabies shots and $10 microchips will be administered to pets. Those wanting to sell or perform at the Farmer’s Market should call 919-217-2234. All events will be at Knightdale Station, 826 N. First Ave., Knightdale.
• The 2014 season of the Wendell Farmer’s Market will kick off at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 10, at 3700 Wendell Blvd. The market is open from 8 a.m. to noon every Saturday from May 10 to October 25 and features local goods, crafts and produce. Visit WendellFarmersMarket.org.
Art show and sale
A Friends of Art show and sale will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 17, at the Ragsdale-Phipps House, 515 Liles-Dean Road, Wendell. Featured artists are Neal Conoley, Kenneth Gilmore, Lynnette Pair, Sally Phipps and Nancy and Kathleen Redman.
An Applebee’s Flapjack Fundraiser breakfast will be held from 8 to 10 a.m. Saturday, May 17, at 6609 Knightdale Blvd., Knightdale. The cost is $7 per person, and proceeds will support Tammy Zukoski in her fight against liver cancer.
Women’s preaching conference
Riley Hill Baptist Church will hold a women’s preaching conference from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 17, at 6101 Riley Hill Road, Wendell. Visit RileyHillBaptistChurch.org for more information.
Two Green thumbs Garden Club of Knightdale will hold its annual yard/plant sale from 7 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 17, in the parking lot of Vantage South Bank, 7120 Knightdale Blvd., Knightdale.
Zebulon Parks & Recreation
Zebulon Parks & Recreation hosts events for the whole family for having fun and staying fit. Visit TownOfZebulon.org for more information.
10 to 11 a.m. Saturday, May 3, June 7 and June 21: Play & Learn features free activities for children at Whitley Park, 601 N. Wakefield St.
10 to 11 a.m. Saturday, May 10 and 17: Adventures at the Park will give families the chance to explore Zebulon Community Park and have fun together. The park is located at 401 S. Arendell Ave., Zebulon.
5 to 8 p.m. Friday, May 16: Market on the Lawn will be held on the front lawn of the Municipal Complex, 1003 Arendell Ave., Zebulon.
8:30 p.m. Friday, June 13: Movie on the Lawn will be held on the front lawn of the Municipal Complex, 1003 Arendell Ave., Zebulon.
10 a.m. Saturday, May 24: Bring a 15-inch pot to the Butterfly Garden Clinic and pot annuals to attract butterflies and caterpillars, as well as learn to care for the flowers. $15 per participant. Located at Whitley Park, 601 N. Wakefield St.
10 to 11 a.m. Saturday, June 14 and 10 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, July 19: Powder, Paint Polish workshop will teach participants how to mix and use chalk paints. $20 registration and $10 material fee for the June 14 class, $30 and $5 for July 19. Held at the Zebulon Community Center, 301 S. Arendell Ave., Zebulon.
Relay For Life events
•Through May 2,
the Pirates of the CURE-ibbean will hold a raffle to win a house pressure washing by Old Oak Construction. Tickets are $1. 919-625-9059.
•12:30 p.m. Saturday, May 3:
The Sole Mates Team will host “Hats off to Moms: Women with Hattitude” luncheon at Rile Hill Baptist Church, 6101 Riley Hill Road, Wendell. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
•Noon Friday, May 9:
The Relay Road Runners will host a golf tournament at the Neuse Golf Club, 918 Birkdale Drive, Clayton. The cost is $75 per golfer, and includes fees, dinner and prizes. Application deadline is May 5. Email email@example.com.
•Through May 31,
the Clyde’s Chapel Baptist Church Team will have tickets for $1 for the opportunity to take home a “double wedding ring” pattern queen size quilt. The winner will be announced at 9 a.m. at the Relay event. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
•Saturday, June 7:
Clyde’s Chapel Baptist Church will hold a car show at 16657 Buffalo Road, Wendell. Email email@example.com.
• The PACEr’s continue to sell their “Colors of Hope” bracelets for $10 each. Call 919-801-5898 to purchase.
• The Relay Road Runners are selling Ribbon T-shirts in pink and purple for $18 each. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The PACEr’s are selling “Cookin' for A Cause" Cookbooks for $10 each. See Bobbi Jane Duke, Connie Gay, or Shelli McInnis.
• The Sole Mates are selling "Awareness Pillows and Purses". Pillows are $20 each and the purses are $10 each. Contact Sharon Barrow at email@example.com
• Walking With Wings has "Strike Out Cancer" themed cornhole boards. To purchase a ticket or for more information, contact Gina Temple at 919-669-6203 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Union Hope Team are selling tickets for an opportunity to take home a "Relay for Life T-shirt Lap Quilt". The winner will be announced at the Relay for Life event May 31. Tickets are $1.00 each. Contact Ellen Williams at 919-269-6799.
East Wake Senior Center events
The East Wake Senior Center will host several events in the coming weeks. The center is located at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
• The Center offers medicare counseling on the second Tuesday of each month. The Seniors Health Insurance Information Program is designed to counsel seniors on Medicare changes or questions. Call for an appointment.
• East Wake Senior Center will assist the AARP Tax Aide program with making their appointments. Appointments are held from 9:30 am. to 2 p.m. Monday and Wednesday. The AARP location will be held at Longview Baptist Church, 2308 New Hope Road, Raleigh.
• Rex Mobile Mammography will be held at the Center from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday, April 3. Call to reserve your space.
• The Center is seeking volunteers who have experience in office work, cleaning and organizing, as well as individuals with sewing, ceramics and craft experience.
• A spring craft sale will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 5-9.
• The Center invites adults 60 and older to enjoy a free hot meal weekdays. The Center, open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., also hosts daily exercise sessions, informative programs, entertainment and bingo.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale, has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
East Regional Library is seeking adult volunteers to help care for the library. Two-hour morning, afternoon, evening and weekend shifts are available.
Artists interested in having their artwork on display in the library may apply to show their artwork in the library’s main reading room for one month. Call Bob Morrill or Brandy Hamilton at 919-217-5301.
9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, 2 to 5 p.m. Thursdays: JobLink Job Assistance will offer help navigating job websites, submitting online applications, and more.
Ready to Learn classes
The Eastern Region Ready to Learn program offers free classes at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com, or Janice Squires at 919-365-0921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Zebulon Community Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
• Story time: 6 p.m. Mondays and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturday.
• K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.
Wendell Community Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade on Tuesdays at 4:30 p.m. 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
• Storytime for preschoolers is at 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the 207 S. Hollybrook Road.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
• Play Day is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
• Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
• Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
• Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
Abrakadoodle, for ages 20 months to 12 years old, meets Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. at the Knightdale Recreation Center, 101 Lawson Ridge Road, Knightdale. Twoosy (20 months to 3 years old) will be offered from 9-9:45 a.m. Saturday and 4-4:45 p.m. Tuesday. Mini-Doodler (3 and a half to 5 years old) will be offered from 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday and 4-4:45 p.m. Thursday. Doodler (5 and a half to 12 years old) will be offered from 11 a.m. to noon Saturday. Twoosy and Mini-Doodler classes are $54 per session, and Doodler classes are $58. For more information, call 919-217-2236.
The 5 County Beekeepers Association meets at 7 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month at the Bennett Bunn Plantation, 1915 Old Bunn Road, Zebulon. The group welcomes new members. For more information, visit www.5cba.org or call Bryon Way at 919-295-0245.