High School credential program
Wake Tech Community College will hold High School credential program (formerly GED Program) informational sessions at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 19. Only one session must be attended. Sessions will last 45 minutes and will take place at the Eastern Wake Education Center, 519 Industrial Drive, Zebulon.
Zebulon Parks & Recreation
Zebulon Parks & Recreation hosts events for the whole family for having fun and staying fit. Visit TownOfZebulon.org for more information.
The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes at Knightdale High through its Lifelong Learning Program. For more information, call 919-431-7593 or visit wcpss.net/adult-edu. Knightdale High is located at 100 Bryan Chalk Lane, Knightdale.
• Job Skills for Career-Readiness. 6:30 to 9:30 pm Wednesday, June 25. Cost is $30.
•Wake County 4-H
offers youth ages 8-14 the opportunity to camp at Betsy-Jeff Penn 4-H Center in Reidsville, N.C. June 22-27 and experience traditional camp activities such as swimming, archery, horseback riding, canoeing, outdoor living skills and more. Older campers in the Adventurer group learn outdoor living skills and the Trekker group goes on an overnight canoe and rock-climbing trip. For more information, visit go.ncsu.edu/WakeCamps.
•Camp I Can
is held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. through July 10, at Todd’s Recreation Center, 1300 Mack Todd Road, Zebulon. The camp is designed to promote character building traits and academic readiness among low-income youth in eastern Wake County. The weekly fee is $30 per student. Call Teresa Wooten at 919-671-1168 for more information. Sponsors are also being sought.
features horseback riding, games and crafts. The camp runs from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 23-27, July 7-11 and August 4-8 at Kindred Spirits Farm, 4647 Massey Road, Zebulon. Visit kindredspiritsfarmnc.com for more information.
Wendell Parks & Recreation will host the following summer camps at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell. Visit townofwendell.com for more information.
•Preschool Art Camp:
June 23-25. Ages 4-5, 9 to 10 a.m. Cost is $40.
•Middle School Fine Arts Camp:
June 23-27. Grades 6-8, 1 to 4 p.m. Cost is $135.
•Raleigh Little Theater:
July 7-11. Ages 6-8 and 9-12. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. $175.
•Mad Science of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill:
July 21-25. Top Gun Flight Academy, ages 7-11, 9 a.m. to noon. Secret Agent Lab, ages 6-11, 1 to 4 p.m. $160.
July 28-Aug. 1. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday Applications can be picked up at the Wendell Police Department and must be submitted by June 26. No cost.
•Morehead Planetarium Summer Science Camp:
Grades 2-5, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. August 13-17; 1 to 4 p.m. August 14-16. No cost.
Independence Day celebrations
• Knightdale’s inaugural Fourth of July celebration will be held at 5 p.m. Knightdale Station Park, 810 First Ave., Knightdale, with fireworks at 9:15 p.m. The festival will include food trucks, vendors, music, activities and fireworks. A shuttle will run from Knightdale Community Park. Call 919-217-2236 for more information.
The Kendall Project annual blood drive will be held from 2 to 6 p.m. Friday, July 11, behind Klip Chicks Salon, 3541 Wendell Blvd., Wendell. Sign up at MySignUp.com/TheKendallProject.
Community garden class
Wake Tech Community College will offer a community garden class from 6 to 9 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Aug. 18 through Sept. 15, and 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 19 through Sept. 11, at its Eastern Wake Education Center, 519 Industrial Drive, Zebulon. Visit Continue.WakeTech.edu to register. The registration fee is $72.
• The Wendell Farmer’s Market is open from 8 a.m. to noon every Saturday through Oct. 25 and features local goods, crafts and produce. Visit WendellFarmersMarket.org.
• The Knightdale Farmer’s Market runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. each Saturday. Local produce and artisan-crafted goods will be for sale. Various bands and entertainment will perform each week. Those wanting to sell or perform at the Farmer’s Market should call 919-217-2234. All events will be at Knightdale Station, 826 N. First Ave., Knightdale.
The 5 County Beekeepers Association meets at 7 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month at the Bennett Bunn Plantation, 1915 Old Bunn Road, Zebulon. The group welcomes new members. For more information, visit www.5cba.org or call Bryon Way at 919-295-0245.
East Wake Senior Center events
The East Wake Senior Center offers fitness and line dance classes, crafts, sewing classes, and more for the active senior. The Center is located at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
• The Center offers medicare counseling on the second Tuesday of each month. The Seniors Health Insurance Information Program is designed to counsel seniors on Medicare changes or questions. Call for an appointment.
• The Center is seeking volunteers who have experience in office work, cleaning and organizing, as well as individuals with sewing, ceramics and craft experience.
• The Center invites adults 60 and older to enjoy a free hot meal weekdays. The Center, open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., also hosts daily exercise sessions, informative programs, entertainment and bingo.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale, has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
• East Regional Library is seeking adult volunteers to help care for the library. Two-hour morning, afternoon, evening and weekend shifts are available.
• Artists interested in having their artwork on display in the library may apply to show their artwork in the library’s main reading room for one month. Call Bob Morrill or Brandy Hamilton at 919-217-5301.
Swimming pool membership drive
The Zebulon Swimming Pool Association at 309 W. Glenn St. is holding a membership drive for the summer of 2014. The pool offers half-summer and full summer memberships. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Extended Hands of N.C. is a community-based resource and referral agency in Wendell seeking volunteers to answer telephones, schedule appointments and assist the public in the office. Email HandsOfExtension@hotmail.com for more information.
Ready to Learn classes
The Eastern Region Ready to Learn program offers free classes at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com, or Janice Squires at 919-365-0921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Zebulon Community Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
• Story time: 6 p.m. Mondays and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturday.
• K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.
Wendell Community Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade on Tuesdays at 4:30 p.m. 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
• Storytime for preschoolers is at 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the 207 S. Hollybrook Road.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
• Play Day is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
• Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
• Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
• Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
Abrakadoodle, for ages 20 months to 12 years old, meets Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. at the Knightdale Recreation Center, 101 Lawson Ridge Road, Knightdale. Twoosy (20 months to 3 years old) will be offered from 9-9:45 a.m. Saturday and 4-4:45 p.m. Tuesday. Mini-Doodler (3 and a half to 5 years old) will be offered from 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday and 4-4:45 p.m. Thursday. Doodler (5 and a half to 12 years old) will be offered from 11 a.m. to noon Saturday. Twoosy and Mini-Doodler classes are $54 per session, and Doodler classes are $58. For more information, call 919-217-2236.